Is My Light To Bright For My Neons?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

firefighter1588

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi there, my little neons hide in the shade under my plants when my light is on but when i turn the light off they begin to venture out and swim all around. is my light to bright for them?? or does light not effect them? :unsure:

I've read they are from dark waters and that's actually why they're so reflective but how long have they been bred in the aquarium hobby now? They're even a lot more hardy/versatile than before. I doubt the majority of their breeders/keepers have kept them in the dark, either.....so as far as the light being "too bright" for them I don't know.....but then I'm no expert.

I have kept them though and I do know that if you have any number of less than 8 they can be VERY shy and will hide a majority of the time. Maybe they are just feeling safer when the light is shut off? I will bet, unless you are having sunlight piped directly into your tank, that they will come out and be just fine if you get more of them. That is if your tank has the capacity for more.....I'm assuming it does.....what tank doesn't have the capacity for a few more neons? :lol:

Most reactions

Back