Is My Clown Sick?

Chris_C

Fishaholic
Reaction score
On Sunday I got a pair of tank bred clowns (not sure what the correct clown name is :lol:)

I left them in peace the first day or so but today i sat watching them because they seem settled now. The bigger of the 2 clowns doesnt seem to have eaten since coming to me and doesnt seem to close his mouth :shout: but my main worry is his tail. It seems to have no colour and is very pale (almost white) and seems quite small for his body. I got a picture but isnt the best quality.

2712f678.jpg

It looks whiter in person. Just want to make sure he is ok. I got him from the Abyss in Stockport so there stock is usually spot on.

Hmm. Strange one. Give us some info. What does the White look like? Is it furry looking? Smooth? Any bumps or lumps anywhere? Any injury signs in his mouth?

Could be worth doing a fresh water dip, poor out some RO, bring to the right temperature and put him in.

It sounds like a fungas but hard to tell.

I wouldnt RO dip him until we have figured out what it is. That would just cause more stress to the fish without knowing if it is doing any good. Have you tested your water? Obviously he isnt right, what other stock have you got in the tank now? It might be an idea to qurantine him.

I dont know a lot about illness and diseases but have a look at Brooklynella or it might be some fungal or bacterial infection, hope that helps.

If it is that, (have a look on google ics to see) here is a couple of links:

http://www.fishvet.com/Brooklynella.htm

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasiticdiseases/a/aabrooklynella.htm

Poor lil'#29###!

Did he look like that in the lfs or is it since you added him to yours!

He's obviously stressed in some way which could bring on an infection!

How long did you acclimate them for?

They are the only fish in there .. run tests and everything is spot on.

The white area has a cut off line and is all white in the area and looks fairly smooth. They was both aclimated for over an hour.

As for the mouth its hard to tell what it is .. when i first got him in the tank he looked as if he was carrying a grain of sand in his mouth .. thats the only way i can explain it .. whatever it was it was like a small ball of some sort in his mouth but that has now gone.

Will have a read over the links posted now.

I wouldnt RO dip him until we have figured out what it is. That would just cause more stress to the fish without knowing if it is doing any good. Have you tested your water? Obviously he isnt right, what other stock have you got in the tank now? It might be an idea to qurantine him.

I dont know a lot about illness and diseases but have a look at Brooklynella or it might be some fungal or bacterial infection, hope that helps.

If it is that, (have a look on google ics to see) here is a couple of links:

http://www.fishvet.com/Brooklynella.htm

Looking at pics of both diseases on google i wouldnt say it is either :sad:

Hmmm, thats what I thought looking at the pics but from what I have read the symptons you say does suggest Brooklynella. Maybe a fungal or bacterial infection then. Did you search Brooklynella on google or just look at the google pics?

Cheers

Hmmm, thats what I thought looking at the pics but from what I have read the symptons you say does suggest Brooklynella. Maybe a fungal or bacterial infection then. Did you search Brooklynella on google or just look at the google pics?

Cheers

pics and did a search in general mate .. will read some more and see if i can find something. He seems fine in himself happily exploring my tank .. although mouth is open he doesnt seem to be struggling for air and isnt hanging round the top of the water. If it does turn out to be Brook will my water be contaminated now?

I dont know to be honest bud, someone else might know though. I have read that it is contagious and can pass to other fish easily. Im sure it would be okay if you treated it and then waited for a long time to make sure it had gone before you add any more stock. Just remmeber if you buy a treatment, chances are it wont be reef safe.

Wish I could help more.

I have read in a few places stress can cause them to change colour for a while so could be that .. i hope so anyway. Will wait for others to come online and maybe give some input.

As far as I understood it Brook is a parasite that only effects Clowns and is something that is only found in Wild caught clowns? But I could be wrong...........I often am, so unless he was kept with wild caught ones (which he should never have been) it shouldn't be Brook. Has he got any black marks on him at all? I had Brook in one of my clowns, looked like a fuzzy white film over whole body including eyes. A 3 minute freshwater dip sorted it out but as said probably better not to until we get a better idea of what it is.

As far as I understood it Brook is a parasite that only effects Clowns and is something that is only found in Wild caught clowns? But I could be wrong...........I often am, so unless he was kept with wild caught ones (which he should never have been) it shouldn't be Brook. Has he got any black marks on him at all? I had Brook in one of my clowns, looked like a fuzzy white film over whole body including eyes. A 3 minute freshwater dip sorted it out but as said probably better not to until we get a better idea of what it is.

It is only his tail area affected with a definate line which cuts it off so to speak .. i just managed to catch him in the right light to show it up abit better. Like i said i have only had them 2 days and they are my first fish. Will be going back to the abyss if they are sick.
DSCF0603.jpg

DSCF0604.jpg

I am not saying you are wrong as I dont know and have no previous experience of this but the link I posted says it is most common in clowns but some other fish can be effected. Here is the link:

Another thing i have noted aswell is that the white area is the same on both sides of the fish.. if it was brook or WS the white areas are usually random on the fish arnt they? my fish looks also like a sock has been pulled up over his back end :lol: not the best way to explain it but cant think how else to explain :lol:

I really dont know then mate, my next guess would be some kind of funagl infection but as I say I am not at all clued up on marine fish diseases. Maybe search some websites with marine diseases to see if anything jumps out.

Most reactions

Back