Is It Wrong That I Never Test My Tanks Water

peter22UK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
In all the years I have been fishkeeping (Around about 11 now) I have never used water tests.

I dont see the point in them? I never really have any fish health problems either? Is it just that i have a keen eye on water quality and know when to change and how much to change?

I don't know, but to be honest, i really dont see the need. If you think you need to test your water? shouldnt you just think to do a water change instead???

Peter :)

The real benefit of testing is when you're first setting up a tank and the levels are in flux. The first 3 months are key.

For a long-term established aquarium, it's not necessary to frequently test. I rarely do, but I should do it more often.

i think when you are newish to the hobby like me, its reasurring to have a test kit to fall back on, i cant rely on noticing a change in the fishes behaviour,and i certainly cant see nitrites and ammonia,i know you lot cant either, but most of you probably can tell from behaviour patterns that something is wrong,im not that clever yet!!, so i test as its very important to me personaly,takes the guess work out of the equation

i know lots of people on here that dont test and never have problems, and maybe one day ill be able to afford not to testfor a month or 2 but not yet, this is my personla opinion, its up to others how they do things, but there is also a difrence between experienced and neglectful :) ( that last bit is meant in genral, not aimed at anyone at all)

shelagh xxxxxxx

Hi - I wouldn't say that never testing your tanks is exactly wrong - I mean, if you've gone this amount of time (a hell of a long time at that!) without testing and haven't had any problems then I don't see why you should feel the need to start testing now just because it's the popular thing to do. It's like that old saying goes "If it's not broken, don't try to fix it". :)

I'm sure there are many fishkeepers who do stringent weekly water tests and still lose fish or have sick fish, regardless - and then there's someone like yourself who never tests and doesn't have a problem with their fish. You must be doing something right!

I normally do regular tests on any new tank I've set up, starting weekly then monthly for the first few months - but the established ones I don't bother with now unless I spot anything going on in the tank that worries me (and keeping good watch on your tanks is the key factor - I spend several hours a day just watching my fish!!). The fact that certain fish spawn regularly and have healthy fry is a good indication that tank stats are ok. With some fish (especially my severums) they will actually sulk if not happy with their water conditions. Like you, I think it's pretty easy to tell when a water change or general tank maintenance is due. If I'm really worried about something then, yes, I'll do the water tests but so far I've not had any outrageous readings and stats seem to remain at the same levels week after week, month after month.

Athena

I hardly ever test the water. I don't see the need to and my fish are healthy and growing strong. I do have a test kit, though, just in case (but it's probably expired by now :rolleyes:).

I understand if you are a newbie and are trying to learn how water chemistry works... but once the tank becomes established, it should be an intuitive thing to know when to change the water or clean the filter. But that's just me. :)

yeah i agree with everyone really, i'd say if you are just starting out a test kit is pretty much vital but once the tank's mature there's no real need to test regularly.

I only test the water if I suspect there is a problem, and most of the time it's a case of take a sample of water in a jug or something and sit it on the side, do a great big water change, then test the sample of water that i'd taken. so like the test is more a confirmation of suspicions than anything else.

can totally understand like Shelagh's situation, she feels more comfortable relying on that than on her own knowledge/experience so tests regularly.

it's really whatever works for you.

I do think every fishkeeping should have a test kit just so that if needs be they can check things out scientifically, but the degree of reliance on it is vairable.

I have never had a test kit either. When I first set my tank up I used to take some water to the LFS for testing. If the water was OK then I used to purchase my next fish, so I think they were happy to do it, especially as I had bought all my kit from them as well.

Now I don't bother and as my 4 black widow tetras come to their 4th birthdays I don't think I will, at least until i get some new fish.

TBH, I only really test the water if I'm thinking about adding fish, which doesn't happen very often.

LOL yeh forgot 2 mention that very established tank prob will only need testing 3-6 mnths

But why? The odds that you are going to have a spontaneous ammonia spike exactly on the day that you carry out your biannual test is very slim. What is testing every 6 months going to prove? If there is a problem then the damage will already have been done.

I never test the water any more, I don't really understand the point unless something goes wrong. Unless you constantly test the water then you are unlikely to catch a problem quick enough anyway.

Besides unless you do something completely stupid then your ammonia and nitrites are not going to rocket for no reason.

LOL yeh forgot 2 mention that very established tank prob will only need testing 3-6 mnths

But why? The odds that you are going to have a spontaneous ammonia spike exactly on the day that you carry out your biannual test is very slim. What is testing every 6 months going to prove? If there is a problem then the damage will already have been done.

I never test the water any more, I don't really understand the point unless something goes wrong. Unless you constantly test the water then you are unlikely to catch a problem quick enough anyway.

Besides unless you do something completely stupid then your ammonia and nitrites are not going to rocket for no reason.

because it's better 2 be safe than sorry !!! wouldnt u like 2 just check anyways to be on the safe side !!!! and sorry is ur life that busy for u 2 be able not 2 test :p it takes 2 mins so y not ?

(twice now geo7x third times a strike :) :)

jen

and sorry is ur life that busy for u 2 be able not 2 test :p it takes 2 mins so y not ?

My life is not too busy I just have better things to do. Plus test kits are not exactly cheap. Testing once every 6 months is pointless, what are the odds that you are going to have an ammonia spike on the day you test? Why should it happen?

If you want to be 'on the safe side' and catch a problem before it arises then testing every 30 seconds should do it.

well im fairly confident, that in the time it would have taken to buy a test kit, test the water etc, i could have done a 50% water change and be cillaxing in a chair with a nice brew lol

I haven't tested my water in more than 20 years or so I would say.

It's NOT because I'm such a great fishkeeper and don't need to but I only have had Piranhas and large aggressive cichlids and I know how each should act so I go by their actions/reaction, their coloration etc on how the water is more or less, as l/ong as I continue the same husbandry practices. I also know how they should act if something was wrong and by the way they acted I would most likely know what it was.

I woudn't hesitate to go buy a testing kit if anything was out of the ordinary and I would always have one handy if it had eternal shelflife.

Most reactions

Back