Is It Wrong That I Never Test My Tanks Water

I haven't tested my water in more than 20 years or so I would say.

It's NOT because I'm such a great fishkeeper and don't need to but I only have had Piranhas and large aggressive cichlids and I know how each should act so I go by their actions/reaction, their coloration etc on how the water is more or less, as l/ong as I continue the same husbandry practices. I also know how they should act if something was wrong and by the way they acted I would most likely know what it was.

I woudn't hesitate to go buy a testing kit if anything was out of the ordinary and I would always have one handy if it had eternal shelflife.

thats exactly what i was talking about, you know what you are doing, i have lots of catching up to do :)

If you want to be 'on the safe side' and catch a problem before it arises then testing every 30 seconds should do it.

HaHaHa my sides are splitting lol

Hmmm.... is that another strike pmsl

well im fairly confident, that in the time it would have taken to buy a test kit, test the water etc, i could have done a 50% water change and be cillaxing in a chair with a nice brew lol

hmmmmm , and wondering whats for lunch huh??? ;)

If you want to be 'on the safe side' and catch a problem before it arises then testing every 30 seconds should do it.

HaHaHa my sides are splitting lol

Hmmm.... is that another strike pmsl

dont encourage him lol

I haven't tested my water in more than 20 years or so I would say.

It's NOT because I'm such a great fishkeeper and don't need to but I only have had Piranhas and large aggressive cichlids and I know how each should act so I go by their actions/reaction, their coloration etc on how the water is more or less, as l/ong as I continue the same husbandry practices. I also know how they should act if something was wrong and by the way they acted I would most likely know what it was.

I woudn't hesitate to go buy a testing kit if anything was out of the ordinary and I would always have one handy if it had eternal shelflife.

thats exactly what i was talking about, you know what you are doing, i have lots of catching up to do :)

I have no doubt that there's things you know that I don't.

I bet you'd know if there was something wrong with your fish by looking at him for 15 seconds whereas I wouldn't necessarily know and could only generalize based upon Oscars and not your particular fish. :)

I know piranhas pretty well but there isn't much info on them anywhere and many things change as they become more popular and studied more. I still learn about them each year.

corrected by geo7x

No need to edit out your posts it is only your opinion :) it's what forums are meant for.

Sorry if my posts have come across a bit stubborn, every opinion matters.

In all the years I have been fishkeeping (Around about 11 now) I have never used water tests.

I dont see the point in them? I never really have any fish health problems either? Is it just that i have a keen eye on water quality and know when to change and how much to change?

I don't know, but to be honest, i really dont see the need. If you think you need to test your water? shouldnt you just think to do a water change instead???

Peter :)

Yes!!... now you're talking my language...... You around 11 years,... me around 40 years.....I honestly see no benefit in tedious water chemistry if you just observe and react on instinct......

In all the years I have been fishkeeping (Around about 11 now) I have never used water tests.

I dont see the point in them? I never really have any fish health problems either? Is it just that i have a keen eye on water quality and know when to change and how much to change?

I don't know, but to be honest, i really dont see the need. If you think you need to test your water? shouldnt you just think to do a water change instead???

Peter :)

Yes!!... now you're talking my language...... You around 11 years,... me around 40 years.....I honestly see no benefit in tedious water chemistry if you just observe and react on instinct......

I tend to agree with you but what about if someone was new to the hobby or that certain type of fish?

Someone getting Mbuna the first time will no doubt freak and think ich, skin flukes or some other disease when they start flicking all the time on rocks. It's normal behaviour but unless you've had them before it could be a scary site for the beginner.

I'd have to get water tests done if I set up an saltwater tank. I'm probably the dumbest one on these forums when it comes to saltwater fishes so I wouldn't know how the fish are supposed to react.

If you think you need to test your water? shouldnt you just think to do a water change instead???

I would think so also but sometimes it could just be a bandaid to a problem and not the fix for it. What if you just did a wc and the fish are gasping at the surface or acting strange because the city put too much clorine/chloramine in the water? You've probably been in the hobby long enough to know by looking but some others might not have and without a test none of can be for sure.

i hate doing tests and for some reason the nitrate is the one i really hate...but as a learner i feel compelled, but im pretty sure that if my fish were gasping at the surface there was a problem, but then i would have to test to see what for..

I am in total agreement with geo on this one. :good: i never test, no need

Alltough if you do test thats also :good: but i just wonder if people who do test, especially those who do it with cheap or just rubbish test kit would spend more money on treatments when they might not really need to.

Edit: my fish are perfect by the way lol

the thing is...

most fish illness can be prevented by clean water

so instead of testing twice a week.

just do a 20% water change on a Tuesday and a 50% waterchange on a Saturday

works wonders

the thing is...

most fish illness can be prevented by clean water

so instead of testing twice a week.

just do a 20% water change on a Tuesday and a 50% waterchange on a Saturday

works wonders

I do 15% weds and 15%suns, thats enough for my heavy plant tetra tank, good post peter, interesting :good:

As a newcomer to the wonders of looking after tropical fish i feel it is important to understand the chemistry of the water you are putting your fish in. A test will take away all the guess work. Its about creating an environment that your fish will thank you for.

Imagine us humans for example. You can live your life smoking and filling your lungs full of chemical crap and yet it does not affect your day to day life too much, however it is safe to assume your lifespan may drastically be reduced. You may not see or even feel any ill affects however a trip to the doctor may point out some potential problems through a series of tests, therefore allowing you to make changes to your lifestyle in order to give you the best possible chance to live longer.

Same principle as water tests.

Your fish might not appear to have any problems however testing the water will highlight any possible issues, allowing you to give the fish the best possible life.

As a newcomer to the wonders of looking after tropical fish i feel it is important to understand the chemistry of the water you are putting your fish in. A test will take away all the guess work. Its about creating an environment that your fish will thank you for.

Imagine us humans for example. You can live your life smoking and filling your lungs full of chemical crap and yet it does not affect your day to day life too much, however it is safe to assume your lifespan may drastically be reduced. You may not see or even feel any ill affects however a trip to the doctor may point out some potential problems through a series of tests, therefore allowing you to make changes to your lifestyle in order to give you the best possible chance to live longer.

Same principle as water tests.

Your fish might not appear to have any problems however testing the water will highlight any possible issues, allowing you to give the fish the best possible life.

I agree, exactly my point I was trying to make.

I am one that doesn't agree that you just do wc's and all is fine and dandy when it comes to begginners in the hobby.

Like I said before, if someone doesn't know how a fish is supposed to act when it's healthy they most likely won't know how it acts when not healthy. Testing your water should be the first basic step in troubleshooting for those that aren't sure NOT doing a wc.

i to have never tested my water in my 11 or so years of fish keeping, only ever had a whitespot outbreak, other than that ive been real lucky, had grew and sold some real beautys in my time,,,, as you say my key ingregient is water change / water change / waterchange=healthy tank, my missus goes spare at the water i use, tough titties :p

Most reactions

Back