Iridescent Shark

LittleMissFish

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal,

One of my roommates (Tim) noticed that I fell in love with this 2inch iridescent shark, so being the nice guy he is, he surprised me with it. He's made a really cool memeber of our tank, but I've noticed that 95% of time he swims in just one spot, it's like he hovers. Sometimes he'll make a lap around the tank, to eat. Is this normal, or could he be stressed or something?

Hugs!
~Jill

Jill,
Guess I will be the first member to give you some bad news!!!

The irridescent shark is actually not a shark, but a catfish from SE Asia. The scientific name seems to be Pangasius hypophthalmus, but is also referred as P. sutchi but this is no longer a valid name.

They are found in Viet Nam, Thailand, Laos and Kampuches.

Now the bad news.....

They are NOT good aquarium fish!! A large adult may grow to 1.3 meters and weigh 15.5 kg. They are also very active and should be kept in shoals.

They become quite nervous in captivity and will often ram there noses int the sides of the aquarium causing deformities.

It is suggested that a proper set-up for these would include at least 6 individuals (to make them comfortable) and a tank some 20 feet long by 8 feet wide!!

They are bred, in large shallow ponds, throughout Asia as a food source.

As much as I know you like this fish, you would be doing it a disservice by keeping it.

Please consider taking it back and exchanging it for something else more compatible to live comfortably in an aquarium. Perhaps some cories??

CM

Hmm, I knew it was considered a cat fish and that he was gonna get big but I did not know he wasn't good for the community, but I trust your judgement and I don't want an unhappy fishy so I'll take him back. This kinda bites the big one though, I love sharks (well :look: just the little ones that couldn't hurt my big toe) are there any little ones out there that I could have in a tank? I haven't done much research on different types yet.

Hugs!
~Jill

Yep, CichlidMaster is right unfortunately. The reason for the behaviour will more than likely be stress, but may I add a suggestion as a replacement ?

Provided your tank is large enough, go for a Red Tail Black Shark. They make a great member and need to be kept alone as they are v. territorial fish, but great fun !!

Actually my expertise is with cichlids, but we have many, many members who keep all the types of tropicals you are interested in.

I will b happy to name a few, but once a few more members wake up and get their keesters here, I am sure you will be flooded with suggestions.

rainbow shark
red tail black shark - although you will have to get a small one to start

The other members I am sure will have a whole list of suggestions for you. Unfortunately this is all that comes to mind right now...

Need to get more coffee in me to clear my head. Ungodly hour it is to start work!!!

CM

Sharkey G said:
Provided your tank is large enough, go for a Red Tail Black Shark. They make a great member and need to be kept alone as they are v. territorial fish, but great fun !!
Oh yeah I've seen those guys. If they're that territorial, then wouldn't they not be a good choice for the community? At the moment my tank is over crowded, my 2 roommates and I are working on getting a larger tank to fix that problem, so when I take my baby back I probably won't pick out something else right away, I'll wait for a bigger tank. But thanks for the suggestion :D I'll look into it.

Hugs
~Jill

LittleMissFish said:
If they're that territorial, then wouldn't they not be a good choice for the community?
They are territorial only with their own kind, they make great community fish - they leave others alone and others leave them alone, it's a brilliant ' natural understanding ' !!

:)

Here is your baby.....

ishark.jpg

CM

Heres a piccie of my red tailed black shark

sharky :thumbs:

I think he makes a great addition to a community tank, yes they can be a bit aggressive and chase other fish but it never seems that serious - I think he just likes the chase :shifty:

Unfortunatly they are now extinct in the wild :( but are very popular and so grown in large numbers by breeders still :D

Yeah, it's a shame that.
By the way, WetWetWet, your shark looks very big - how long have you had it ?

Grant :hyper:

Yep compared to ones I've seen in others tanks he does appear to be a bit of a monster :eek:

He's about a year old and allready 6" long - I just hope he ain't gona get much bigger. He's defffinatly the 'daddy' of the tank but imo one stunning looking fish B)

Agreed, it's JetBlackness is really striking and makes it's red tail really gleam. A lot of people think it's actually related to the shark family, but it actually has nothing to do with a shark - except it looks like one with it's fins.

B)

Sharkey G said:
Yep, CichlidMaster is right unfortunately. The reason for the behaviour will more than likely be stress, but may I add a suggestion as a replacement ?

I disagree. It is my understanding, & experience, that red-tailed blacks are best kept in a small shoal, of say, three, maybe four.

You'll need a sufficently large tank though Jill, perhaps 90-120cm, or 3-4 feet, in American terms. Whilst they can be territorial, I have had widespread success utilising them in peaceful communities & they have never caused any significant problems. They are a good addition, but I personally prefer silver sharks as opposed to red-tailed black sharks.

Well, it's a matter of opinion on that, but from everything I've read / heard / seen , a Red Tail Black Shark will always be territorial against it's own kind, hence they will thrive better on their own. The reason you will have had success with a shoal of 3 or 4 is because their is too many of them within one community and they are forced to get along because of this.

Four RTBS's fighting would seclude to nothing, which is why they won't fight.

Anyhow, it is each to their own - which is what makes fishkeeping so appealing in the first place.

Most reactions

Back