Introducing Kiki

Davo86

Cichlids, Catfish and Oddballs
Reaction score
Well I finally managed to track down one of the species I was looking for
Her name is Kiki (very original I know) and she is a 10 month old female Red-fronted Kakariki

More pics will follow when she has settled in, but heres a quick shot from my cameraphone
kikin.jpg

She's a cutie pie. Not as cute as tweety pie lol.
I nominate her for the pet of the month competition.

Very nice :D Can I see a picture of the cage?

There you go, excuse the blanket I was just about to put her to bed :rolleyes:

10032009207.jpg

This cage is just temporary for the last 5 days and probably for the next 5 or so until her new cage is delivered, which will give her the extra flying space she needs

Very cute and beautiful!! Is she getting used to everyone and easy to handle now? You won't be clipping her wings?

Will this kind of bird talk? Sorry for all the questions, I'm really intrigued. :)

Very cute and beautiful!! Is she getting used to everyone and easy to handle now? You won't be clipping her wings?

Will this kind of bird talk? Sorry for all the questions, I'm really intrigued. :)

Hi, thanks

Yes she has got used to everyone although she still absolutely hates people that tower over her, atm we're all having to crouch down when we're around her. I am quite pleased though as being an aviary reared bird and being that I have only had her 6 days, she is already stepping up onto my hand (when she wants to of course)

I did have a brief moment where i thought she may need her wings clipped, although now i have decided against it,
Kakarikis are apparently one of the most agile and acrobatic of fliers though so I'm going to need to make sure she is super tame before i think about letting her completely free in the house, I'll never catch her otherwise.

Male Kakarikis are very good speakers, although females may learn a few words but in the main they are much quieter birds overall.

O ok. Thanks for the answers. We used to have parakeets. We clipped their flight feathers for their safety. Lots of windows in the house. They could still "fly" just not get much if any lift. They could glide down from their cage and run/climb around the house.

ps. I clipped their feathers myself as noone else in the household would...as well as give the horses their shots :rolleyes: They would've had quite the vet charges w/out me :lol:

Anyway, congrats on your stunning bird. It's great that she's warming up so quick even though she wasn't hand-raised. :)

Thanks for posting lovely pics as well.

kj

You havent entered kiki for march pet of the month yet.

You havent entered kiki for march pet of the month yet.

ok, will do,

Just been taking a few more pics so here they are:

The new cage
kiki3.jpg

her 'seat' on the corner of my fish tank where she watches telly, (Seriously)
kiki1.jpg

Posing for the camera
kiki2.jpg

Keeping an eye on the time
kiki5.jpg

dinnertime
kiki6.jpg

kiki7.jpg

kiki4.jpg

Most reactions

Back