Introducing Fish To A New Tank?

dannym

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Omg i cant believe how big my 2 plecs have got, i have only had them around 3 weeks and they have gone from about 1 inch to nearly 4 inches, its weird i never noticed until i got home from work tonight & thought S**T! they obviously grow very quick, i need that tank quick smart!

Oh and when i get my upgraded tank (hoping on a 300 litre) how shall i introduce my fish into it, do i empty the contents of my old tank into the new one and then just top up with treated water then add the fish?..

And i heard from browsing this forum that the bigger the tank is the easier the water changes are

How is this possible as a 300L holds considerably more water than my pathetic 60L

Edit* Does adding water that is room temp to a tank stress the fish? and if so is there a way to heat the water up before adding it to the tank?..

Thanks all

Danny.

dont worry about preheating water unless your doing a big big big water change.

Just fill the new tank with water, then put the fish you are transfering into a bucket of old tank water, then just acclimate them the same way you acclimated them when you first bought the fish.

Water changes are harder and/or longer in big tank, but bigger tanks are easier to keep stable.

The reason that big tanks are easier, is basically because they take longer to get "dirty" because there is such a large water volume in comparison to smaller tanks.

I hope that helps... Try to think of it as having a glass of water and a bucket of water. When you add a drop of dye to each, the glass has a darker color and the bucket has barely changed. The bucket, which holds more water, requires more dye to become darker. Same principles as a fish tank. :good:

EDIT: Ok, I'm not sure if I answered what you were really asking. They're not too hard to change, unless you are using the bucket and siphon method. :X

Most reactions

Back