Injured corydora

I don't think NC was suggesting you euthanise her. Just that especially with her lying on her back, she doesn't look great, so try to keep your hopes in check. Keep trying by all means, just be prepared that she might not make it.

You see her more than we do, and when a fish is still eating, it's still fighting, and have seen fish recover even when they looked worse, so she still has a chance.

But why were you trying to net her? That's only going to cause additional stress that she really doesn't need right now.

I will definitely try my best to nurse her back to healthy state.

I was thinking of quarantining her but abandoned that idea as from her evading looks like she’s stressed.

Water parameters better with Nitrate lower now.
0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 15ppm Nitrate.
Will test water daily and do 25% change everyday.

I’m hoping she recovers soon.

Ive spent 5 hours today doing the water change and giving the filters a good clean. The pipes were filthy so gave them good rinse.

She seems to be happier after the water change, not seen her on belly yet so finger crossed :)

After reading this post, I can definitely say adding aquarium salt helps, contrary to what Byron keeps saying. The salt brings down swelling significantly, it can even help a fish with dreaded dropsy survive long enough for treatment. It also makes the fish build up more mucous (which prevents disease return), I've had nothing but good experiences when using salt to help treat fish. And in small doses, it doesn't harm them.
My main concern is that you make sure when you're doing all those water changes that you're adding bacteria to your tank, otherwise it may cause a spike in unwanted compounds.

After reading this post, I can definitely say adding aquarium salt helps, contrary to what Byron keeps saying. The salt brings down swelling significantly, it can even help a fish with dreaded dropsy survive long enough for treatment. It also makes the fish build up more mucous (which prevents disease return), I've had nothing but good experiences when using salt to help treat fish. And in small doses, it doesn't harm them.
My main concern is that you make sure when you're doing all those water changes that you're adding bacteria to your tank, otherwise it may cause a spike in unwanted compounds.
If I do a major water change I does with Seachem Stability. I’ve been monitoring water parameters and it’s been good.

I think I’ve found the issue of slightly high Nitrate and cloudy water too. Both hoses seems to have lots of organic plant material in there which may have been from previous issue I had where the plants where a mess. I’ve given the hose good rinse however some organic matter still remains, I’ve bought a special brush to give them a good clean.

The injured corydoras is still alive and moving/feeding. I think the fins are slowly improving too. Never seen her belly up yet which is good.

I have a neon tetra in a quarantine tank which swims heads up and slightly wonky. Diet and peas doesn’t seem to help so not too sure what to do. It’s moving around just seem to be having slight swim bladder issue. Thinking of trying aquarium salt as read that it might help.

I’ve added almond leaf to the main tank which the corydoras is in. I’m not sure if I need to dose aquarium salt at this point?

If your Cory is doing better, then no, there is no need to add salt. If it starts to get worse, adding salt may help.

Cory's are far more sensitive to salt than bettas (deduction from forum name - sorry if that's wrong). I would not use salt in my cory tank unless absolutely neccessary, and then I would go at half the usual recommended dosage. It probably won't kill them but may have a long term effect on internal organs.

This is her today. Dorsal fin looks more extended and some improvement in the tail fin. It’s now more flexible instead of rigid as few days ago.
Seems to be eating as well so fingers crossed.

162CD371-9339-48F3-A499-AF1F87DA8B33.jpeg

There is no benefit to adding salt unless there is a specific issue occurring for which salt is the safest and most effective treatment. Salt will stress all soft water fish. It has no "preventative" benefits, none. It is only good when it is the best (or an effective) and safe treatment for "x".

I wrote an article on salt which is published on The Wet Web Media, monitored by Dr. Neale Monks and others, here is the link. Dr. Monks has articles on salt here too. I am not going to argue old wives tales in the face of accepted fact.

Barring any unseen internal damage she will be fine. They are a lot more resilient than we think. This pic was taken today. I recognise her because the white strip at the base of her tail is scar tissue.
20200909_201803_017.jpg
And this is her in early July
20200621_200120.jpg

Barring any unseen internal damage she will be fine. They are a lot more resilient than we think. This pic was taken today. I recognise her because the white strip at the base of her tail is scar tissue.
View attachment 115761
And this is her in early July
View attachment 115762

Thats definitely a big improvement. :)

I do notice minor improvements in the last few days. From research it may take 4-6 weeks to heals so I’m crossing my fingers and toes for her to make it.

In the meantime I’ll try my best to keep the water as clean and healthy possible.

Found her lying in the side this morning and Ive tried to get her to move a few times but she’s not moving much.

Even when I tried to net her she just lies there. As much as I don’t want to admit it, I think her condition is deteriorating. Corydoras are normally active but she is now just lying there.

Very sad indeed but unfortunately I will have to discuss option of putting her to sleep with my daughter when she’s back from school.

Found her lying in the side this morning and Ive tried to get her to move a few times but she’s not moving much.

Even when I tried to net her she just lies there. As much as I don’t want to admit it, I think her condition is deteriorating. Corydoras are normally active but she is now just lying there.

Very sad indeed but unfortunately I will have to discuss option of putting her to sleep with my daughter when she’s back from school.
Some fish are just predisposed with conditions we can never know about, I think you've done everything you can and I wouldn't blame yourself at all.
Whilst I have mentioned a method of euthanasia on the thread re the tetra, i appreciate that this method may not suit in this situation. I can't comment on the use of clove oil so hopefully someone else can.

I’ve isolated the corydoras in a separated container. It’s definitely not looking good.

From research clove oil seems to be the best option here.

I have used clove oil to euthanise twice, I do think it's the most humane and peaceful method we can use. Do it gradually, put the fish in one small tub with some tank water, use another container where you can close the lid to mix and shake the clove oil with some warm water (since oil doesn't mix easily with water, hot water helps) then cool that water down before adding some to the container with the fish in it. Give it some time for the oil to sedate the fish, only only a little at a time, and once you're sure the fish is sedated, then overdose the clove oil to put the fish down.

I learned by watching these videos. This one to euthanise -

And this one by the king of DIY who was using it for sedation only, but it helped me figure out once my fish was sedated;

I used empty fish food containers, anything that you won't re-use except only for clove oil purposes, since it's not something you want to contaminate your tanks with. It's also not easy to remove the smell from your hands afterwards, so disposable gloves could be useful, or you can rub vegetable or olive oil into your skin to help remove it before washing in hot water, since diluting it in another oil helps to break it down.

I now keep those containers and the clove oil inside another labelled cardboard box in my fish cupboard, just so that they're there should I need them again. I hope I never do, but better to be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

I'm sorry about your fish :( I do think you've done all you can, and sometimes, euthanasia is the last kindness we can give so they don't have to suffer anymore.

I have used clove oil to euthanise twice, I do think it's the most humane and peaceful method we can use. Do it gradually, put the fish in one small tub with some tank water, use another container where you can close the lid to mix and shake the clove oil with some warm water (since oil doesn't mix easily with water, hot water helps) then cool that water down before adding some to the container with the fish in it. Give it some time for the oil to sedate the fish, only only a little at a time, and once you're sure the fish is sedated, then overdose the clove oil to put the fish down.

I learned by watching these videos. This one to euthanise -

And this one by the king of DIY who was using it for sedation only, but it helped me figure out once my fish was sedated;

I used empty fish food containers, anything that you won't re-use except only for clove oil purposes, since it's not something you want to contaminate your tanks with. It's also not easy to remove the smell from your hands afterwards, so disposable gloves could be useful, or you can rub vegetable or olive oil into your skin to help remove it before washing in hot water, since diluting it in another oil helps to break it down.

I now keep those containers and the clove oil inside another labelled cardboard box in my fish cupboard, just so that they're there should I need them again. I hope I never do, but better to be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

I'm sorry about your fish :( I do think you've done all you can, and sometimes, euthanasia is the last kindness we can give so they don't have to suffer anymore.
Thanks for the helpful advice @AdoraBelle Dearheart :)
I suppose this is part of keeping pets, it’s sad but as you’ve said all best options had been done and the next steps is to end suffering in most humane way.

I will also give my tank and filter good clean today followed by a big water change.

Most reactions

Back