Injured corydora

I’ve ordered some API aquarium salt. Unfortunately I don’t have a suitable tank to quarantine so would have to treat in same tank ...

If it’s infection / rot I’m worried it will spread so really not sure what to do now. :(

Barbs and Corydoras have been in the tank for months and no issues until now.
I did notice one Corydoras was laying eggs last week and the Barbs were chasing her for the eggs. Perhaps they nipped her fin by accident.
It took a while for my odessa to acclimatise and stop being so skittish. I have noticed them getting too close to the cories and i have only just now had a good look at my cories and noticed signs of nipping on their dorsal fins :confused:
I can only consider that these two fish aren't a match. Which is a nightmare, because I'm now figuring out what to do. Take the Odessa back? Get another tank?
I've only got the cories and barbs in mine so its definitely them.

It took a while for my odessa to acclimatise and stop being so skittish. I have noticed them getting too close to the cories and i have only just now had a good look at my cories and noticed signs of nipping on their dorsal fins :confused:
I can only consider that these two fish aren't a match. Which is a nightmare, because I'm now figuring out what to do. Take the Odessa back? Get another tank?
I've only got the cories and barbs in mine so its definitely them.
Hmmm I’ve bought both Odessa and Corydoras (peppered and panda) as juveniles and they never had any issues from Day 1. I’ve never seen the Odessa barbs chasing the Corydoras or tetras except for when a Corydoras was laying eggs.
I do have live plants and some decor for hiding places in my tank though.

I do hope it isnt the case for you. I just can't provide any other explanation for mine. Do you have any more pics of the fin damage?

I do hope it isnt the case for you. I just can't provide any other explanation for mine. Do you have any more pics of the fin damage?
Odessa Barbs are more aggressive if they are hungry. Otherwise I don’t think they would attack your Corydoras. Hope things will improve for you bud.

I was going to take another picture but I can find the Corydoras now, she is not at her usual spot so must’ve swam elsewhere

At this point I would stay with more frequent water changes. Fin degeneration can be bacterial, fungal, nipping, or related to some other issue. I know it is a natural response to start dumping "x" or "y" in to the tank, but we must always remember that if this is not an effective treatment for the specific problem, it is now making it even worse, and for other fish too. Clean water, with no additives other than a good conditioner, can make a huge difference.

At this point I would stay with more frequent water changes. Fin degeneration can be bacterial, fungal, nipping, or related to some other issue. I know it is a natural response to start dumping "x" or "y" in to the tank, but we must always remember that if this is not an effective treatment for the specific problem, it is now making it even worse, and for other fish too. Clean water, with no additives other than a good conditioner, can make a huge difference.
Thanks @Byron. I will do a 50% change soon.

Just found her lying there which breaks my heart :(

I have just bought a small tank with air stone and some aquarium salt arriving tomorrow.

81A6803A-80C9-470B-A12E-4BCA73B1C377.jpeg

She seems to be swimming around the tank as I’ve found her at various spots.
Also saw her eating few times, but not as much.
Water tested today and it’s fine. Same readings as before

To me the dorsal fin looks like it’s injured instead of fin rot?

Quarantine tank and API aquarium salt coming tomorrow. Wondering if I should quarantine her with the other tetra.

2CEAD0D6-1FF8-408A-B9CF-EEA817CA5EB2.jpeg

8876E40E-3238-42A7-B1CA-91471793DEA8.jpeg

:( She looks emaciated :-(

@jonnyc88 do you have frozen bloodworms or tubifex, anything they go mad for to try to tempt her to eat?
@NCaquatics , what do you think? Her sides look so sunken in to me

Its possible she scraped the fin or was damaged and its become infected at this point.
She is a little on the thin side as well, but not severe at least. Id make sure she gets more frozen foods to fatten up a bit more

Thanks @AdoraBelle Dearheart and @NCaquatics. I have blood worm pallets which I scattered around her.
She does try to swim around but not easy as dorsal and tail fin looks damaged.
Will this heal? Should I quanrantine her? Not sure if new tank on her own will cause more stress?

If I quarantine might have another tank mate with is the tetra would is swimming vertical with head upwards.

3 litres??? Can't believe the ad has the cheek to call that a tank and say it's "easy to maintain"...

What else do you have in the main tank? Full stocking? I'd be more inclined to treat her in the main tank, the low dose salt, and big daily water changes.

3 litres??? Can't believe the ad has the cheek to call that a tank and say it's "easy to maintain"...

What else do you have in the main tank? Full stocking? I'd be more inclined to treat her in the main tank, the low dose salt, and big daily water changes.
Yes, it's small but that's the quickest one I could get my hands on. The tetra is in a container of similiar size though for quarantine. Is that too small?

I have other corydoras, tetras, barbs, x2 bamboo shrimps and x2 nerrite snails in main tank.

Most reactions

Back