Injured corydora

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Noticed one of my corydoras is not moving much and in closer inspection looks like his tail fin and dorsal fin is injured?

Do I need to do anything?

43478308-D59A-4537-B535-A24321C85FA6.jpeg

Oh bless his little heart. What is he in there with? I'm not experienced in the medication side of it but I hope he makes a swift recovery

Oh bless his little heart. What is he in there with? I'm not experienced in the medication side of it but I hope he makes a swift recovery
Other corydoras, tetras and Odessa barbs. The barbs never bother the corydoras.

Although one or two were laying eggs last week and they were chasing her for the eggs. Perhaps barbs nipped fins by accident.

She still moves but prefer her spot near the little cave. Will the fins grow back?

What are your water test results?

Fins can grow back, yes! But when they're damaged, it creates an entry point for fungus and bacteria, so secondary infections are a risk. Also if it's fin rot, or a problem with water parameters, it'll need treatment too, or the fins will get worse.

What are your water test results?

Fins can grow back, yes! But when they're damaged, it creates an entry point for fungus and bacteria, so secondary infections are a risk. Also if it's fin rot, or a problem with water parameters, it'll need treatment too, or the fins will get worse.
Parameters are 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite and 25-30ppm Nitrate. I know the Nitrates is a bit high and I’m trying to reduce it.
I don’t think it looks like fin rot but I could be wrong.

No, it doesn't look like fin rot really, more like she got trapped or picked on or something.

My inclination would be to do daily water changes and perhaps the lower dose salt water treatment for a while to reduce nitrates and reduce the chances of a secondary infection, and see how how she does. But I'm no expert on diseases or cories, so hopefully others can give advice.

I don't know the salt dosage for cories, but @Deanasue does, and also has a lot more experience with cories than I do, and @NCaquatics of course is brilliant with cories, hopefully they can help :)

No, it doesn't look like fin rot really, more like she got trapped or picked on or something.

My inclination would be to do daily water changes and perhaps the lower dose salt water treatment for a while to reduce nitrates and reduce the chances of a secondary infection, and see how how she does. But I'm no expert on diseases or cories, so hopefully others can give advice.

I don't know the salt dosage for cories, but @Deanasue does, and also has a lot more experience with cories than I do, and @NCaquatics of course is brilliant with cories, hopefully they can help :)
Thanks.
I will do daily water changes.

I’m also having this issue with white particles in the water. When I turn filter off they sort of floats in the water and also form a film in the surface.

I’ve added fine filter media but it doesn’t seem to catch it. From research it could be bio film?

Hi! I’m worried that he is just laying there. That’s not normal for cories. I would do 70% water changes along with 1/2 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of water the first day. After that, do 70% water changes with 1/4 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt per every 5 gallons. Do this for 10 days. If things haven’t improved then you will need to treat him with a med that fights bacterial infections such as Furan-2. You may want to place him in a QT tank to treat him. :)

Hi! I’m worried that he is just laying there. That’s not normal for cories. I would do 70% water changes along with 1/2 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of water the first day. After that, do 70% water changes with 1/4 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt per every 5 gallons. Do this for 10 days. If things haven’t improved then you will need to treat him with a med that fights bacterial infections such as Furan-2. You may want to place him in a QT tank to treat him. :)
Thanks for the advice. I’m afraid I don’t have a quarantine tank, I have very small container which I’m currently using for a Neon Tetra.
Will it be ok to does the salt in main tank? I need to purchase some.
She does swim but not as active as other corydoras.

Thanks.
I will do daily water changes.

I’m also having this issue with white particles in the water. When I turn filter off they sort of floats in the water and also form a film in the surface.

I’ve added fine filter media but it doesn’t seem to catch it. From research it could be bio film?
Biofilm is usually a film, and growing on surfaces like wood plants and glass, not particles, and not usually floating in the water column (although it does sometimes).

Are you able to get a photo?

If the cories are being nipped by anything, out of the fish you keep, I suspect the barbs. But then I'm surprised the neons and cardinals have survived them? I am noticing my barbs disrupting the cories as they attempt to rest throughout the day. I was expecting the barbs to stay mostly middle/upper but they pretty own the tank the way they carry on. I'm slowly considering setting up a new tank to rehome the cories.

Treatment wise @jonnyc88 - add some salt. @Deanasue knows the safe dosage for cories.
Long term solution.. i'm not sure :confused:

The fins are clamped and there's some rot or infection starting on the dorsal.

Reduce the nitrates with more floating plants and more water changes.

Id opt for Deanasues treatment

If the cories are being nipped by anything, out of the fish you keep, I suspect the barbs. But then I'm surprised the neons and cardinals have survived them? I am noticing my barbs disrupting the cories as they attempt to rest throughout the day. I was expecting the barbs to stay mostly middle/upper but they pretty own the tank the way they carry on. I'm slowly considering setting up a new tank to rehome the cories.

Treatment wise @jonnyc88 - add some salt. @Deanasue knows the safe dosage for cories.
Long term solution.. i'm not sure :confused:
Barbs and Corydoras have been in the tank for months and no issues until now.
I did notice one Corydoras was laying eggs last week and the Barbs were chasing her for the eggs. Perhaps they nipped her fin by accident.

Most reactions

Back