In Theory

BackToTheFishes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok,IF and this is IN THEORY,IF I had been looking at all the members tanks here and had my head turned away from planting up my 180 gal.and IF I wanted to get a big cichlid "community" (oscars again!!!! :shout: ) And in my past fishy life I was in the "only thing that can live with oscars is a huge plec" school of thinking
Can anyone come up with good stocking suggestions for me?wich would include cats of some kind?
6X2X2 btw.IN THEORY! :good:

im having the same trouble on what to stock my 6.5/2/2 with. ive come up with a list that could be do able and im sure it will change before i get the fish :lol:

1 x oscar
1 x red spotted severum
1 x texas cichlid
1 x BGK
2 x sun catfish (already got)
1 x large plec
6 x silver dollars

still not 100% sure but this is what im thinking of at the minute. maybe swap the silverdollars for something else but as i said still not sure and im sure it will change :lol:

What sort of stocking would you be looking for? i.e. would you be happy with just say 4-5 big single standout fish or would you like a bigger 'community' with shoals, groups, and then centrepiece fish?

I mean a few big standout fish that haven't been mentioned recently i think are either a Bocourti or a Vieja Argentea, both IMO are stunning fish but with varying levels of aggression that may rule out some options

Also as said a Lima Shovelnose is a great option for a bottom feeder, as would something like a group of Pimelodella blochii (get to about 8-9" quite bulky and extremely active IME) or the larger Sun cats that mattlee now has, or a group of smaller Hoplo cats which again are very active.

Polypterus are another option for cichlid tankmates, Ornate and Delhezi bichirs again look stunning IMO and would be fine with the cats and cichlids,

its really doin my head in, i keep finding new fish every day that look great. you would have thought it would be a good thing wouldnt you having a tank of this size empty and waiting :lol:

What sort of stocking would you be looking for? i.e. would you be happy with just say 4-5 big single standout fish or would you like a bigger 'community' with shoals, groups, and then centrepiece fish?

I mean a few big standout fish that haven't been mentioned recently i think are either a Bocourti or a Vieja Argentea, both IMO are stunning fish but with varying levels of aggression that may rule out some options

Also as said a Lima Shovelnose is a great option for a bottom feeder, as would something like a group of Pimelodella blochii (get to about 8-9" quite bulky and extremely active IME) or the larger Sun cats that mattlee now has, or a group of smaller Hoplo cats which again are very active.

Polypterus are another option for cichlid tankmates, Ornate and Delhezi bichirs again look stunning IMO and would be fine with the cats and cichlids,
I'm totally open to suggestions ATM,but the lima's are in my defenitely column now.Thanks for your input Dave,I'll read up on your suggestions

its really doin my head in, i keep finding new fish every day that look great. you would have thought it would be a good thing wouldnt you having a tank of this size empty and waiting :lol:
Its already driving me nuts and I only thought seriously about this today!! lmao

When I had oscars years ago I kept convicts with them too.opinions on a pair of small cave dwellers in a BIG fish tank?

When I had oscars years ago I kept convicts with them too.opinions on a pair of small cave dwellers in a BIG fish tank?

Well provided you don't have anything more aggressive than an Oscar (which in fairness aren't all that aggressive) then you could easily add a pair of anything from Rainbows cichlids, to Sajica/Spilurum/Honduran red points/convicts to Firemouth/Ellioti/Aureus through to blue/green/gold/platinum/royal acaras.

Well provided you don't have anything more aggressive than an Oscar (which in fairness aren't all that aggressive) then you could easily add a pair of anything from Rainbows cichlids, to Sajica/Spilurum/Honduran red points/convicts to Firemouth/Ellioti/Aureus through to blue/green/gold/platinum/royal acaras.
Are you TRYING to make me cry with all these choices?!?! :lol:
Thanks again btw

I would be wary of fully grown limas in a tank thats 2' wide. They are known for getting easily spooked and smashing into the glass and snapping there nose thats why i decided against on for my tank. You could have one in there for a good few years though. They do best in groups or atleast pairs.

Just posted this in Mattlees post as well but thought it might help you out in theory as well :) Its a list of cichlids I have been researching but is by no means limitless and there are tons more species out there :) Also the SA ones are not all just cichlids but dithers and catfish as well :)

Amphilophus Amarillo
Amphilophus Diquis
Amphilophus Hogaboomorum
Amphilophus Lonimanus
Archocentrus Centrarchus
Cichlasoma Salvini
Cryptoheros Nanoluteus
Cryptoheros sp. Honduran Red Point - and yes I know the cryptoheros name is no longer valid :lol:
"-----"-----" Sajica
"-----"-----" Spilurus
Hypsophrys Nicaraguensis - like in my pic yes thats a female a good male pic is in Davos pic :)
Neetroplus Nematopus
Theraps Coeruleus
Theraps Lentiginosus
Thorichtys - Aureus, Ellioti, Socolofi, Pasionis or one of the nice sp. species that are sometimes available

So those are the ones for the mini centrals idea list like I say Im not fully researched on these yet but most of the species (basically all but most of the Ampilophus) I would be okay to suggest some kind of mix not sure how though.

If you were going for South Americans thats an other story, Geophagus Alitfrons, Satanoperca Auticeps and Lillith, Uaru Fernandexyepezi, Heros sp. Rotkiel, Heros Apendicious, Heros Severus, Krobia sp. Rio Xingu, Hoplarchus Psittacus, Bujurquina Vittata, Cichlasoma Boliviense, Laetacara Thayeri, Tahuantinsuyoa Macantzata (inca stone fish) a few angel fish or some festivum plus headstanders, gars, lima catfish, pictus, duckbilled knife fish, black ghost knife, Royal Plecs, Whiptail Plecs

Wills

Just posted this in Mattlees post as well but thought it might help you out in theory as well :) Its a list of cichlids I have been researching but is by no means limitless and there are tons more species out there :) Also the SA ones are not all just cichlids but dithers and catfish as well :)

Amphilophus Amarillo
Amphilophus Diquis
Amphilophus Hogaboomorum
Amphilophus Lonimanus
Archocentrus Centrarchus
Cichlasoma Salvini
Cryptoheros Nanoluteus
Cryptoheros sp. Honduran Red Point - and yes I know the cryptoheros name is no longer valid :lol:
"-----"-----" Sajica
"-----"-----" Spilurus
Hypsophrys Nicaraguensis - like in my pic yes thats a female a good male pic is in Davos pic :)
Neetroplus Nematopus
Theraps Coeruleus
Theraps Lentiginosus
Thorichtys - Aureus, Ellioti, Socolofi, Pasionis or one of the nice sp. species that are sometimes available

So those are the ones for the mini centrals idea list like I say Im not fully researched on these yet but most of the species (basically all but most of the Ampilophus) I would be okay to suggest some kind of mix not sure how though.

If you were going for South Americans thats an other story, Geophagus Alitfrons, Satanoperca Auticeps and Lillith, Uaru Fernandexyepezi, Heros sp. Rotkiel, Heros Apendicious, Heros Severus, Krobia sp. Rio Xingu, Hoplarchus Psittacus, Bujurquina Vittata, Cichlasoma Boliviense, Laetacara Thayeri, Tahuantinsuyoa Macantzata (inca stone fish) a few angel fish or some festivum plus headstanders, gars, lima catfish, pictus, duckbilled knife fish, black ghost knife, Royal Plecs, Whiptail Plecs

Wills
DUDE!! You're KILLING ME!!!!!!! lol it's gonna take me days to go thru those!! lmao
Thanks tho,I think :grr: lol

If I put territories/caves at either end of the tank,you think I could get 2 smallish pairs in?not the same species obviously

What about 2 x oscars
6 x salvinis
6 x firemouths
1 x Aspredo aspredo
4 x Crenicichla reticulata or Crenicichla sp. Belly Crawler

If oscars are not a must then I would go with a type of vieja instead, argentea or synspillium, green terrors maybe! (I love terrors), or a group of texas cichlids, oe even a group of blackbelts! :drool:

Most reactions

Back