In Retrospect..... It's Quite Silly!

•fish only grow to the size of a tank.

•goldfish only live for a year max

Fish only grow to size of tank, that one i still argue to so many friends about (one worked in an fish shop too :crazy:).

The "goldfish only live for a year max" a guy on countdown said that the other day
and i ended up shouting at the TV like it was england in the world cup or something :lol:

Common plecos will eat everything off the bottom of your tank.
w00t.gif

This was partial advice I got but I took it the wrong way lol and it was exacerbated by my own OCD to keep everything clean. I assumed that when the lfs said to "clean your filter" that they meant to really clean it...so there I was rinsing and scrubbing everything under hot tap water each month, basically destroying the biological filter! D-OH!!! By some small miracle I never had any major catastrophe happen...I did this for quite a long time too! Anyway, that was so many years ago and I have come a long wayyyyyy since then :book: That's why I like these forums, a newbie can learn a lot of great info in a very short period of time. I had to go to this thing called a "library" and read these things called "books"..lol....so much easier to find out information now, I love it!!

I think that the implication intended by the plec comment is that plecs are cleaning fish, (aka won't add to your bioload) and don't need to be fed specifically. Plecs are a poo machine. Adding one drastically increases the bioload, its far from a neutral bioload fish unlike shrimp which truly do not increase the bioload significantly.

I think that the implication intended by the plec comment is that plecs are cleaning fish, (aka won't add to your bioload) and don't need to be fed specifically. Plecs are a poo machine. Adding one drastically increases the bioload, its far from a neutral bioload fish unlike shrimp which truly do not increase the bioload significantly.

Yeah. What he said.
hehe.gif

aha, ok. I find any food of whatever type, laying around, lasts seconds with a pleco
but you get used to your tank looking like i knitting yarn factory has just exploded, in it. :hyper:

When I started out with tropicals, (1970) I read that Brine Shrimp is the absolute best foods for rearing fry,

in all seriousness, this is what i still hear today on this forum? im feeding my fry right now on them.

please elaborate!?
The point of that statement, is that I subsequently bought the BS eggs, and fed my fry the raw, unhatched BS eggs......

When I started out with tropicals, (1970) I read that Brine Shrimp is the absolute best foods for rearing fry,

in all seriousness, this is what i still hear today on this forum? im feeding my fry right now on them.

please elaborate!?
The point of that statement, is that I subsequently bought the BS eggs, and fed my fry the raw, unhatched BS eggs......

oic, sorry, didnt catch that you were feeding them the EGGS! lol. ok makes sense now. i was all worried i missed something when ive read about rearing fry :)

A Betta's natural environment is in puddles on paddy fields, so they are perfectly happy kept in a mug sized tank.

Will have to support standby on this one.

•Adding little bits of aquarium water to a bag will help fish acclimatise (favourite one that - there is no biological argument/data to support this - there simply isn't enough time (not including temperature) ).

LOL
I though that this was the basis of aclimatising fish to the pH in your tank? Float the bag for a while adding a cupful of water from the tank to the bag every now and then and then net the fish out into your tank....??

Miles (very mucha beginner!)

Will have to support standby on this one.

•Adding little bits of aquarium water to a bag will help fish acclimatise (favourite one that - there is no biological argument/data to support this - there simply isn't enough time (not including temperature) ).

LOL
I though that this was the basis of aclimatising fish to the pH in your tank? Float the bag for a while adding a cupful of water from the tank to the bag every now and then and then net the fish out into your tank....??

Miles (very mucha beginner!)
It's not just pH, there's KH and GH too, plus other things.

The whole point of this topic is that these are silly things we've heard about fishkeeping, not current practices.
w00t.gif

Most reactions

Back