In Retrospect..... It's Quite Silly!

Hmmm this is an odd area really...

Yes, there is an hormonal effect, but it would be seriously small (in an aquarium sized environment) - the other stressors would have a mich greater effect...

BUT, there is evidence of slower growth (but no loss in eventual size) in some species of Cyprinid... but its a delay in growth (this can happen naturally in hundreds of species of animal - dependent on resources/territory etc. - a good mammal example is the bottlenose dolphin which grows larger out to see, but stays at a smaller size for longer near harbours).

I think some may have misunderstood as to why I posted what I did. Some of what I put are ok but the context in which they were said they were not right. Nothing was said about about having a planted/heavily planted tank. So having no filter and not doing water changes for six months would have serious problems. Maybe I should have stated this when I said what I did.

When I started out I wanted a mixture of marine fish and tropical!!!!! i didn't even realise the difference till someone told me on here.

Well the applications I mentioned would not require mechanical filtration, any detritus that settles will just rot and fertilise the plants, which there will be little detritus anyway as the stocking is lower than average in these set ups.

fair enough.

Hmmm this is an odd area really...

Yes, there is an hormonal effect, but it would be seriously small (in an aquarium sized environment) - the other stressors would have a mich greater effect...

BUT, there is evidence of slower growth (but no loss in eventual size) in some species of Cyprinid... but its a delay in growth (this can happen naturally in hundreds of species of animal - dependent on resources/territory etc. - a good mammal example is the bottlenose dolphin which grows larger out to see, but stays at a smaller size for longer near harbours).
but it,may well, cause "stunting". I assume you agree?

I think some may have misunderstood as to why I posted what I did. Some of what I put are ok but the context in which they were said they were not right. Nothing was said about about having a planted/heavily planted tank. So having no filter and not doing water changes for six months would have serious problems. Maybe I should have stated this when I said what I did.

yeah, the point i was making in answer to standby.

some other stories:
When a fish is "stunted", its organs grow, but the fish itself does not..
Redclaw//fiddler crabs are fully aquatic.
Firebellys (any kind) are poisonous to touch. and will cause the death of fish they are kept with.
Air pumps and stones are a necessity, in a freshwater tank..
dont worry about your tanks biofilm,(we call it maturity) its not important.
adding bits of limestone or sandstone will cause your PH to rise, permanently.
Tannins are bad for your fish, and tank.
un-cured silicone will harm your fish. (but i guess it could, if your tank falls apart. lol)
you need a, specific, Aquarium grade silicone for tank repairs.
gas pockets, in sand, are dangerous to your stock.
you must buy only Aquarium sand, as play-sand is not safe.
and to me the classic. "i'm not worried this fish will out grow my tank. because i will be getting a much bigger one. SOON :crazy: :crazy:

Yep agree on the stunting :)

On the aquarium silicon front, doesn't commercial/diy contain fungicides?

Kitchen/bath silicone generally contains an anti-fungal ingredient and should be avoided. Just need to read the label.

My favorite: "A pleco will clean up all the stuff at the bottom of your tank, and will only grow to about 6""

Yeah. Right.
whistling.gif

yes and no. its available, from any DIY camping or boat shops, with or without fungicide. all you need to do is read the back. it will say Aquarium safe, or not. but the basic stuff in the tubes, bought from an LSF or DIY shop, is exactly the same.
so, there is no such thing as "Aquarium grade/specific" silicone. just with or without fungicide. the only difference is one has a fish on it, @ say £9.99 for 110mm. and one has, something else printed, @ £4.99 for 310mm.

You need an airstone to get enough oxygen in there!
sorry, NO you dont.! :no: :no: :no: its a common misconception. which is why i listed it. :good:
you get far more O2 by having surface movement, than any air stone will give you. they are for decoration. though some fish and inverts like to play in them.and they can be used to cause a current.

I think it was sarcasm :)

sorry, NO you dont.! :no: :no: :no: its a common misconception. which is why i listed it. :good:
you get far more O2 by having surface movement, than any air stone will give you. they are for decoration. though some fish and inverts like to play in them.and they can be used to cause a current.

I think he the person was adding a post to this thread of myths...

quite right, and sorted.

my apologies Twinklecaz :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Hmm some poor advice i got when i was starting out in the hobby would include;

1. You need an algae eater for the tank otherwise you'll get algae
2. Corys/loaches/shrimp don't need to be fed anything at all as they are scavenger fish
3. Fish grows to the size of the tank etc.
4. Fish need a bit of salt in their water to be healthy.
5. You need plants in the tank or you'll get water quality problems.
6. All algae problems are always caused by either an excess of nutrients or lighting or both (not true!).
7. If you have bottom dwelling fish like corys or loaches then you don't need to clean the substrate as they do it for you.

Though to be fair i did get some good fish information when i started out fishkeeping. By far my biggest problem when i started fish keeping was a lack of important information on certain subjects- it was a whitespot epidemic in one of my fish tanks that my LFS didn't know what to do on (they didn't even know what whitespot was) that led me to join a fish forum (which was great as in a few minutes everyone identified that the tank had classic whitespot and suggested a good med to treat it with, which helped me save my fish and get rid of the whitespot), and i have never looked back since :good: .

quite right, and sorted.

my apologies Twinklecaz :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Lol it's ok!

A 12 litre bowl is a good “starter kit” ideal for goldfish.

Most reactions

Back