Importing Fish To Uk

Bettaman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Website may be a source of illegal fish imports

AquaBid.com sellers agreed to illegally send fish to the UK.

Fishkeepers are using an auction website to illegally import fishes into the UK, risking prosecution and huge fines, Practical Fishkeeping has learned.

According to one complainant, some AquaBid.com sellers are offering to send fish illegally to the UK via the regular postal system, without the necessary import licence or health documentation, and without informing the Fish Health Inspectorate.

"One seller regularly ships Endler's to the UK without any paperwork and through the slow regular mail service", the reader claimed. "I know this as a friend of mine brought some fish from him and they took eight days to arrive and were in very poor condition. He didn't even realise he needed a licence to get fish this way and when I told him he realised he’s lucky not to have been caught and fined."

Last week, Practical Fishkeeping approached nine sellers based in the United States and Thailand who were advertising worldwide shipping for fish they were auctioning on AquaBid.com.

Five days in transit
Seven AquaBid.com sellers said they could send fish to us in the UK if we won the auction, with one of those agreeing in principle, but suggesting we waited until the weather in the UK was a little warmer.

One Thai seller told us: "As we don't have a transshipper in the UK ( AM LOOKING AT DOING THIS) we have two choices to send the fish. Send by EMS Express Mail, which takes about five days and costs $55 US dollars.

"Or, send them to our transshipper in Germany then you arrange time and payment from Germany to UK to the transshipper. Cost of sending fish from Thailand to transshipper in Germany is $30 US dollars."""Well, I'll ship, but I won't guarantee their live arrival, which I kind of doubt..."A seller in the USA, who we asked to send us some Nothobranchius korthausae "Mafia Island", told us: "Well, I'll ship, but I won't guarantee their live arrival, which I kind of doubt. Apistos can go that long but I've never had experience with killies."

An AquaBid.com spokesman told Practical Fishkeeping: "It is the responsibility of the seller and buyer to comply with all governmental laws and regulations of the local country. AquaBid.com does not condone illegal activities of its sellers and buyers.

"I have been contacted by the US Fish and Wildlife in the past. I have cooperated and provided seller's and buyer's information for their further investigation."

Illegal fish imports
Stephen Maidment of the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas), an executive agency of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), told Practical Fishkeeping that it was currently working with official services in other countries to investigate the purchases of live fish over the Internet.

Said Maidment: "We have reason to believe that a small number of fish may have been shipped to Great Britain in contravention of our import requirements. We regard any such shipment as a serious matter and we will investigate and prosecute cases where fish have been imported illegally."

Maidment believes that the fishes are being purchased in innocence, but says that does not take away the fact that the practice is contravening UK legislation on the movement of live fish, which are set up to protect native and commercial stocks from potentially harmful diseases.

Maidment told us: "We know that most fishkeepers are thoroughly responsible and sensible. However, we believe that some are still taking fish to shows in Ireland and the Continent, and then returning with the fish to this country. Others are believed to be travelling to mainland Europe to purchase live Koi and other species of coldwater ornamentals from retail outlets in Belgium, France, etc.

"The Fish Health Inspectorate endeavours to stop all illegal imports but it appears that there is still confusion among some people, including ornamental and tropical fish enthusiasts, over the conditions under which live fish may be imported."Illegal importation of ornamental fish has in one case resulted in the imposition of fines, costs and losses in excess of £60,000. It is clearly a matter taken seriously by the courts...""Any person found importing fish without proper documentation will have their fish seized and destroyed, and could face prosecution. Illegal importation of ornamental fish has in one case resulted in the imposition of fines, costs and losses in excess of £60,000. It is clearly a matter taken seriously by the courts."

Border Inspection Posts
Cefas says that all imports need to come through one of the three Border Inspection Posts (BIP) at Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester and the State Veterinary Service need to have received prior notification that the fish are on their way.

All imports of live coldwater fish from the EU must also be accompanied by an EU health certificate that must have been signed by veterinary authorities in the country of origin.

Importantly, it's just as illegal to go to aquarium suppliers in Germany or Holland and bring fishes back in hand luggage.
"They must be consigned as freight, in transport boxes meeting International Air Transport Association (IATA) standards," says Maidment. "Failure to do so will lead to the fish being confiscated and destroyed, and the importer could face prosecution."

"Such rigorous import controls are obviously in everyone’s interests, to prevent disease destroying our fish. Acknowledgement of the risks involved and voluntary compliance with the regulations is by far the best way to do it."

Getting guidance
Cefas says that anyone who wishes to import fish into the UK or export them to other countries, including showing them abroad or in Ireland, should contact the Fish Health Inspectorate for advice on certification requirements.

Cefas has asked readers with information relating to the illegal import of fishes to contact the Fish Health Inspectorate's Investigations Officer, and has urged the complainant who contacted Practical Fishkeeping and Cefas last week to come forward as they believe he may have further information that may help them in their enquiries.

Investigations Officer
Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science
Weymouth Laboratory
The Nothe
Weymouth
Dorset
DT4 8UB

Tel. 01305 206674

«Previous Next»

About the author: Matt Clarke

Website Editor, Matt Clarke, is a lifelong fishkeeper and former fish biologist. He has two diplomas, a degree and two higher degrees in fish biology, fish taxonomy and bioinformatics. He writes the regular Interesting Imports column on rare and unusual fish in the UK aquarium trade.

More articles by Matt Clarke »

Links to related news stories

Puffer fish seized Illegal shipment of GM fish siezed Illegal fish shipment siezed KHV may have hit British wild carp populations Illegal live rock seized Exotic marines pose problem to environment DNA fingerprinting helps catch illegal fishermen Retailer prosecuted for selling illegal snakeheads Two piranhas caught in Manchester Florida Keys officials hunt Batfish Live rock smuggler busted Fish market owners sells illegal snakeheads Fishkeepers oppose snakehead ban Goldfish as prizes banned Fish stocks in Lake Victoria - even more depleted Fairground goldfish will remain legal Snakehead smuggler prosecuted Fish farm fined for moving dodgy fish Environment Agency to kill lake full of fish Uproar as goldfish remain legal prizes Keep fish and plants in your pond Illegal Koi shipment confiscated Fish at risk from Clicker barb parasite Angler catches fruit-eating piranha US to ban Beluga caviar Rome bans bowls and fairground goldfish Arowana without microchips seized Mudminnows in Hudson River hybridising Dyed fish to remain legal Company offers custom fish tattoos with laser Seahorses were posted in parcel

YES I KNOW A LOT BUT ITS NOT THEM THAT GET THE FINE OR IMPRISONMENT :no: :no: :no: ITS YOU

very interesting reading. it certainly opens your eyes. and i bet it's all too common..if they cant guarantee their live arrival why send them if they taken all that care raising them to maturity? :/

btw..hows the leg?

edit: ive just been reading up on the snakehead..facinating creature but look's like its causing a lot of problems in america. You can see why there needs to be stricter guidlines and monitoring of imports.

Danny

I'll just add to this report a few things. First, it is written rather harshly. And it doesn't tell ALL regulations or exactly what does occur.

For example it is LEGAL to import ANY hobby aquaria into CANADA without any importation fees, quarrantines etc. This is directly from Canada Post and Customs, who state that there is 'limited risk' involving the importation of hobby aquaria, so they do not have any regulations against it.

In short, it is legal to import any hobby fish for yourself into Canada and there are no special rules or regulations regarding the shipment or importation at all.

Some countries do require (or at least have regulations for) a quarrantine for any fish or plants, or at least and inspection process that costs money and that is mainly due to idiots releasing aquaria into the reserves and ecosystems, causing alot of havoc. So in other words they are looking for parasitic species that are not allowed for importation.

And, it is the buyer wo is held legally responsible, in all cases, that needs to ensure any international item they receive is legal to import in their country. Whether it is prescription drugs, or fish!

Now with regard to a random inspection - If a parcel with a hobby fish was taken by customs and inspected when it was not registered for importation, it will require processing which could affect the delivery time of the fish. The delay may not be the best thing for your fish, obviously. Again, do your homework if this concerns you greatly.

BUT! Importing hobby fish is not illegal - it just requires paperwork. So there are no fines for PERSONAL use importation of hobby fish that I know of, but you would be contacted and you would need to file paperwork and pay the customs fees for it.

Again, my info does not come from a reporter writing an 'expose on the horrible trafficking of fish', but its from Fish and Wildlife Canada, The postal regulatory services and customs. It seems he thinks people are just raising fish for a quick death on Aquabid.

Due Dilligence! Ask your country's applicable departments what is entailed for importation of hobby aquaria, there are tons of links on the web for this info.

Really, that is what the sellers should be putting in their ads - and what we have on our website - that all importation regulations need to be met by the buyer, as it is they who are legally responsible to ensure they are legally importing to their country. The sellers can do nothing to meet those regs, as they do not apply to the seller. Obviously they should only be offering shipping that is within a few days, or not at all.

The people on aquabid are not generally crooks or criminals, they want you to get your live fish correctly.

I'll just add to this report a few things. First, it is written rather harshly. And it doesn't tell ALL regulations or exactly what does occur.

For example it is LEGAL to import ANY hobby aquaria into CANADA without any importation fees, quarrantines etc. This is directly from Canada Post and Customs, who state that there is 'limited risk' involving the importation of hobby aquaria, so they do not have any regulations against it.

In short, it is legal to import any hobby fish for yourself into Canada and there are no special rules or regulations regarding the shipment or importation at all.

Some countries do require (or at least have regulations for) a quarrantine for any fish or plants, or at least and inspection process that costs money and that is mainly due to idiots releasing aquaria into the reserves and ecosystems, causing alot of havoc. So in other words they are looking for parasitic species that are not allowed for importation.

And, it is the buyer wo is held legally responsible, in all cases, that needs to ensure any international item they receive is legal to import in their country. Whether it is prescription drugs, or fish!

Now with regard to a random inspection - If a parcel with a hobby fish was taken by customs and inspected when it was not registered for importation, it will require processing which could affect the delivery time of the fish. The delay may not be the best thing for your fish, obviously. Again, do your homework if this concerns you greatly.

BUT! Importing hobby fish is not illegal - it just requires paperwork. So there are no fines for PERSONAL use importation of hobby fish that I know of, but you would be contacted and you would need to file paperwork and pay the customs fees for it.

Again, my info does not come from a reporter writing an 'expose on the horrible trafficking of fish', but its from Fish and Wildlife Canada, The postal regulatory services and customs. It seems he thinks people are just raising fish for a quick death on Aquabid.

Due Dilligence! Ask your country's applicable departments what is entailed for importation of hobby aquaria, there are tons of links on the web for this info.

Really, that is what the sellers should be putting in their ads - and what we have on our website - that all importation regulations need to be met by the buyer, as it is they who are legally responsible to ensure they are legally importing to their country. The sellers can do nothing to meet those regs, as they do not apply to the seller. Obviously they should only be offering shipping that is within a few days, or not at all.

The people on aquabid are not generally crooks or criminals, they want you to get your live fish correctly.

This as states is for the UK not Canada so what your regs are are different this is from a well known magazine not just written by me and its illegal to import into the UK without a license and this is what it is saying and the rules are in place to protect our wild life.....not people looking to bypass the system hence the £60.000 fine so yes what you say for canada may be correct and should be noted but as for the uk its not. :no: :no: :no:

YES I KNOW A LOT BUT ITS NOT THEM THAT GET THE FINE OR IMPRISONMENT :no: :no: :no: ITS YOU
That's what I've been trying to point out to people in the UK buying fish on Aquabid :/

Bettaman: very interesting read!

Fawn: thanks for that post. it's good to know that as I'll be getting some bettas from synirr into canada in a few weeks and I was wondering if there were any rules in canada about that :)

-Ian

yes, theres a lot of paperwork involved in importing fish into the uk. but the biggest problem is getting people abroad to understand our import rules. a lot just think you are being funny.

This as states is for the UK not Canada so what your regs are are different this is from a well known magazine not just written by me and its illegal to import into the UK without a license and this is what it is saying and the rules are in place to protect our wild life.....not people looking to bypass the system hence the £60.000 fine so yes what you say for canada may be correct and should be noted but as for the uk its not. :no: :no: :no:

Yes, there obviously are different regulations with regard to every single country, (my point) which is why every country makes it the importer's liability for anything they order.

Be it food, plants, aquaria, medication. I am suprised that so many people don't realize they are legally responsible for what they order, and for asking their customs about the regulations regarding importation.

I don't think people selling on aquabid - as a whole - are looking to circumvent anything - as they have nothing to do with the importation process. They should, though, let you know that you should be aware of your own leglislation and advise you that you are responsible for importation once it reaches your border...but its pretty redundant. That is like telling people each time they buy a fish on aquabid that they better buy a book on care, that it may eventually require waterchanges, medication etc. They expect you to know, or to care, more likely.

Its BUYERS who generally circumvent the system. Many buyers are very aware there is a regulatory/inspection process.

And, I doubt there is any way in this world there is actualy prosecution or a 60,000 fine for importing a few hobby fish without awareness or knowledge of the importation process. Those fines are designed, again, to prevent selling and importation of prohibited endangered or parasitic agriculture or animals for commercial purposes - NOT hobby aquaria for personal consumption.

One call to your Customs agency should settle any concerns, postal service should also have all the info you require.

OF course, I agree= if there are people/breeders trying to convince you to illegally take these prohibited fish in large, commercial quantities - and lying to you, risking your imprisonment, its immoral. But, that article really makes it sound that that is the norm, rather than the rarity it surely is.

i quite agree fawnmodel but its the fact the the defra are clamping down on this is also a point that has been stated..it just the right time to warn anyone who as it states don't realize they need a license to import as all they state is they will send ems to the EU on aquabid and most people don't even know what that means so this is a good place to put this so unsuspecting buyers can see that they should leave it to importers or find one that will import for them..as as bettawen says their is a lot involved in importing and the bip here have to be informed every time a shipment is coming in i would say this will help stop illegall imports.

Just a thought, but perhaps Aquabid should write a script that comes up when once attempts to bid on an item listed as ships globally (or perhaps part of the terms stated clearly when you register), that reminds buyers to do their homework and due dilligence before importation of fish.

That seems a relatively simple way to educate people, if there really is such a large problem with misleading sellers.

That's a good idea fawnmodel, maybe you should email them and suggest it? :nod:

Most reactions

Back