imperail zebra pleco

ah, maybe the price has dropped....anyway, as soon as lfs found out the Zebra Plecs habitat was going to be turned into a hydroeletric power plant many lfs hicked up the prices, good to see they're down again :)

I actually asked my LFS to pick up a Zebra Pleco for me a few weeks ago. Apparently they can't find any from their normal distributors, so they made a deal with me. I got a King Tiger for only $20 US. :p Not bad, considering I've seem them normally go for between $40-$60 US.

Let me know how you all like the Zebra, I've been thinking about one for a different setup, but from the research I've found, they're not a "true" algea eater...they will eat algea if they have to, but they prefer regular fish food.

They actually are very ineffective at eating algae and they'll starve if you expect them to. Their mouths are shaped completely wrong for it. There is currently a ban on collecting them in Brazil, which may be a precursor to them being added to the CITES protection list. The exporters are only shipping out fish that have already been collected, and wholesalers are anxious to find hobbyist bred specimens. Because they tend to have small clutches of fry, and are distinctly difficult to get spawning in the first place, there aren't nearly as many of them being worked with successfully, as there are of some of the other types of hypancistrus.

I personally wouldn't recommend keeping them with tiger barbs, but they do wonderfully with threadfin rainbows, praecox rainbows, cories, apistos, guppies or other small, not overly aggressive fish that can stand warm water. Zebras aren't happy much below 84 IME. Good luck with yours :) Oh, did I mention they're great at hiding? :rolleyes:

scarface1979 said:
just rang me local fish shop and order 2 £65 each

whoaaaaaaaaaaa
where abouts are you based??

I'd be interested in getting some at that price.

I was going to setup a breeding tank for them, but there is now where that can get them (and if they can most places want over £120 each)

They are a scocial fish and shouldn't be kept on their own.

a group of 3 or more would be best. we were planning on 6 :rolleyes:

sonota said:
They actually are very ineffective at eating algae and they'll starve if you expect them to. Their mouths are shaped completely wrong for it. There is currently a ban on collecting them in Brazil, which may be a precursor to them being added to the CITES protection list. The exporters are only shipping out fish that have already been collected, and wholesalers are anxious to find hobbyist bred specimens. Because they tend to have small clutches of fry, and are distinctly difficult to get spawning in the first place, there aren't nearly as many of them being worked with successfully, as there are of some of the other types of hypancistrus.

I personally wouldn't recommend keeping them with tiger barbs, but they do wonderfully with threadfin rainbows, praecox rainbows, cories, apistos, guppies or other small, not overly aggressive fish that can stand warm water. Zebras aren't happy much below 84 IME. Good luck with yours :) Oh, did I mention they're great at hiding? :rolleyes:
I thought I had heard that, but I couldn't remember exactly what the article had read. :p But yeah, I do remember the article said they couldn't be used as algea eaters, mostly because that's what I wanted to buy them for. :p

thats because they be carnivore andnot hebivore!

great plecs if you can accomodate them! not for the faint hearted thou, can be difficult to keep!

cryosi said:
thats because they be carnivore andnot hebivore!

great plecs if you can accomodate them! not for the faint hearted thou, can be difficult to keep!
Yup, that would be what I heard as well. :D And if price is any indicator here, I'd probably blow a gasket if I lost one. :p

Most reactions

Back