I'm moving!

fishyjessie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am moving the Plamer tank soon, are there any last word of wisdom? my plants are rooted in the gravel and all fish are healthy (the goal is to keep it that way). the move, unfourtantly, is about an hour drive and it is a bit cold here in alaska. i would love to hear good tidbits of advice to help this go smoothly. :kana: :D :p

I have never done a plant tank move.. :dunno:

But I know that you shouldn't let the gravel dry.. and save as much of the original water you can so the fish don't have to reaclimate.

It isn't safe to move a tank even partialy full of water. it isn't built for the stress of it.

I would aslo make sure the vehicle is warmed up pretty good too. Frozen fish aren't happy.

Here are some tips off the top of my head:

Bag the fish and plants and put them all into a cooler (or as many coolers as you need). This will keep the temperature constant.

Don't feed the fish at least 3 days prior to the move, this way they don't soil the bag.

Use fresh water in the fish bags instead of aquarium water to ensure the cleanest environment possible.

Bag the filter media in aquarium water and place it in the cooler with the fish.

Don't waste your time and effort moving water - the bacteria that we want to save is not free swimming in the water, it is on surfaces in the tank. Only move enough aquarium water to keep the substrate and filter media wet. When you set up the tank again you can use nice, fresh, clean water.

Good luck with your move!

thanks guys, i thought it was necessary to keep as much of the old water, it will make it eaiser if that is not so. ;)

Use fresh water in the fish bags instead of aquarium water to ensure the cleanest environment possible.

Don't do this. Use aquarium water, the fish are used to that water. The most important thing is to keep the fish as warm as possible. If you have a water tight container you can keep your fish in that instead of just baggies. A cooler is a great suggestion, some extra insulation would probably be suggested to keep them warm and to add padding so they don't get shaken around as much. Since its a long drive you can't really bring the tank water with you but keeping the gravel and filter would help set up the new biological filter as soon as possible.

Tupperware would probably be better as long as it seals completely tight. Glass jars are more easily broken and that would be obviously terrible. Plastic like tupperware is a little flexible and can take some bumps in the road. Try to put the fish in large containers, that way they have more air.

Air is the reason bags are the best option, cause you can seal them up with lots of it!

Don't do this. Use aquarium water, the fish are used to that water

How is this? You use tap water for the aquarium, you can use the same tap water for the bags. If you treat the water in the aquarium with additives, use the same ones on the new water. The water in the bags would then be free of nitrates, phosphates, minute traces of ammonia or nitrite that have not been converted yet, etc. etc. The only way I would not recommend this is if you keep a neglected tank, in which case the transfer from the polluted water to the fresh water could cause harm - but for any normally maintained aquarium I stick to my guns. 8)

I have moved many times and I always, always, start over with fresh water, and I recommend it this way for anyone. I know that hauling around tubs of fish water on a move has become a standard rule, but it never hurts to consider new options :)

I agree with not feeding the fish for a few days. but I wouldn't go as far to say that you should use all new tap water. Stick with the water you have. it is the same temp they are used to as well as same levels of nutrients. you want to stress the fish as little as possible.

I say get a if you can aquire one get a gatorade water cooler they are tall and insolated fairly well. or a 15 gal bucket. so you could fill it about half full with tank water and just nab the fish and drop them in. They are all used to each other and it doesn't look like you have any that are agressive anyway.

it might be possible with an inverter to put the heater in the gatorade cooler and then no worries on heat.

again I say that a tank should never be moved with any water in it. the seals are set to stand a constant pressure not a changing one.

Most reactions

Back