I'm At Work With A Bag Of Gravel And Water From The Petstore!

NonstickRon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Managed to get someone from the Petsmart where I've been buying all my stuff to give me some gravel in a fish bag.

I don't get to go home for about 4.5 more hours. Will the bacteria still be alive by then?

There's not a great deal of bacteria in gravel, a little filter media would be better.

Sorry but I have to agree, old tank water and gravel/ornaments do not carry much, if any beneficial bacteria as this is not where they choose to reproduce due to constantly being disturbed etc.

A filter provides perfect conditions for bacteria to breed, hence why obtaining mature filter media is such a good idea.

I personally would only take media from a filter where I know the conditions are good, I know a lot of pet shops are not the best for keeping track of their ammonia and Nitrite levels...

Is there anyone near you who can donate media? Looking in the media donation section could help you loads :good:

Hi, yup little to be gained by using the water or gravel :no: In fact you are more likely to get unwanted stuff from both. There is some toxic stuff in gravel which can be released when disturbed.

As previously said if you could get you LFS to give you some filter media that would really help kick start your filter cycle but you will need to get it into your filter asap and feed it (ie ammonia)

This depends on what sort of filter you're using. The purpose of an undergravel filter is to supply oxygenated water as a constant flow to the gravel. This means that the whole gravel bed forms a light coating of nitrifying bacteria. Because it has such a vast surface area, this makes it an effective biological filter but due to its poor mechanical filtration it should not be used alone but in conjunction with a power filter.

If the tank you took the gravel from was running an undergravel filter, it probably does contain nitrifiers and will therefore speed up your cycle. However if you AREN'T running an undergravel, there is no point at all to scattering it over your own gravel. Any bacteria present will die. Place it in your filter, preferably next to the biological media (bio balls, bio rings or small porous rocks.) It's probably best to put some of it in your main filter even if you are running an undergravel.

If the tank you took it from wasn't running an undergravel there is probably little or no bacteria on it. you'd be much better off getting some filter media. Sponges and wool might do something but their effect will be less than taking one or two bioballs or biorings or biorocks. Anything that's small and porous and has constant water flow will end up covered in nitrifiers.

If you are in the US pm me with your zip code. Cycled media can be shipped, I'll give you a shipping price. I go through a lot of filter floss, and usually just toss it. Shipping via standard ground, which generally takes a few days, is around $15.

I wouldn't be able to ship until Monday, I ship from work, and there is no reason to have it sit in a warehouse over the weekend.

This depends on what sort of filter you're using. The purpose of an undergravel filter is to supply oxygenated water as a constant flow to the gravel. This means that the whole gravel bed forms a light coating of nitrifying bacteria. Because it has such a vast surface area, this makes it an effective biological filter but due to its poor mechanical filtration it should not be used alone but in conjunction with a power filter.

If the tank you took the gravel from was running an undergravel filter, it probably does contain nitrifiers and will therefore speed up your cycle. However if you AREN'T running an undergravel, there is no point at all to scattering it over your own gravel. Any bacteria present will die. Place it in your filter, preferably next to the biological media (bio balls, bio rings or small porous rocks.) It's probably best to put some of it in your main filter even if you are running an undergravel.

If the tank you took it from wasn't running an undergravel there is probably little or no bacteria on it. you'd be much better off getting some filter media. Sponges and wool might do something but their effect will be less than taking one or two bioballs or biorings or biorocks. Anything that's small and porous and has constant water flow will end up covered in nitrifiers.

Oh well. I took my filter back because it was a piece of junk and got a Penguin 200 instead. Put the gravel into the water resevior. Definitely not an undergravel at Petsmart. No idea what kind of filter they have but the lady told me they have 2600 gallons going through a common system.

They are probably running a sump behind the scenes in a Petsmart. There will be a little, but not much, bacteria on the gravel sample. If you can get that sample to reproduce in your filter it's slightly better than nothing for a fishless cycle starter.

Most reactions

Back