Ideas For Fish That Occupy The Middle Area Of The Tank

cejb008

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first time posting and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some ideas of fish that will occupy the middle area of my tank. I have a 130 ltr tank, which currently houses:
2 Mollies, 9 Neon Tetra, 2 Bristlenosed Catfish, 2 Golden Catfish and 2 Corydoras.

I was looking at getting some Cherry Barbs (I googled and noticed they occupy the middle area of the tank), but any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks Chloe

Hi! welcome to TFF

How about Neon rainbowfish. They're pretty nice, peaceful and they don't get too big.

Hi All,

This is my first time posting and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some ideas of fish that will occupy the middle area of my tank. I have a 130 ltr tank, which currently houses:
2 Mollies, 9 Neon Tetra, 2 Bristlenosed Catfish, 2 Golden Catfish and 2 Corydoras.

I was looking at getting some Cherry Barbs (I googled and noticed they occupy the middle area of the tank), but any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks Chloe

Cherry barbs would perhaps would be good fit. I would keepin mind that the neon tetras,bristlenose,and corys (need at least six for they are social )
, all appreciate cooler waters that perhaps isn't too hard or alkaline.
The mollies on the other hand prefer warm ,hard,alkaline water with pH values between 7.4 and 8.0.
Google info on Chinese alage eater, and if this is the fish you are referring to when you say golden catfish,, I would submit that they aren't very good at eating algae and have been known to become aggressive towards other fish as they become larger. I would return these fish and perhaps get four or five more cory's.

As roadmaster says, the Cory's really will be happier in a shoal of 5+. I didn't believe this for years, and kept corys in ones and twos. Finally, I bought some more to make a shoal, and the two Cory's I had already were absolutely overjoyed, and are now blatantly happier fish.

You seem to have a over-emphasis on bottom feeders in your tank already, so simply adding 3 or 4 more COry's isn't the answer. I'd suggest either rehoming the COrys, or rehoming some of the other cats and getting a few more corys.

As for midwater fish, you could consider 3 or 4 honey gourami, or some sort of tetra (I love Red Eye Tetras ... but need a shoal of AT LEAST 6).
Dwarf Rainbows are nice, but can be fussy on water quality by all accounts and you are pushing the limits of a 130 liter tank getting a small shoal of them.
Another option might be a single Dwarf Gourami. I'd only get one (a male) as they can be little b_ _ _r's to their own kind.

Or how about a few Platies ... they like swimming at all levels, are colourful and cheap !

hi there.i have a tank similar size to yours with give or take similar fish and i have just brought a shoal of 6 glass catfish which seam to be hanging around middle area of the tank,also i have a pair of panda garras which i can highly recomend.paul.

... but need a shoal of AT LEAST 6).
Dwarf Rainbows are nice, but can be fussy on water quality by all accounts and you are pushing the limits of a 130 liter tank getting a small shoal of them.

Agree with this advice. Dwarf neon rainbows are sensitive fish and if your water quality isn't up to snuff they will wither away and die.

No one has said Danios. I have the same issue, all my fish seem to be more at the bottom (4corys, 2bolivian rams, and 10neons). While Danios are a bit common, I'm thinking getting a combo of golden and long-finned Danios... 6 or so. Any thoughts on this?

gold barbs are nice if u get a school of 6 they are quite peaceful i ahve them in with cherry barbs and tiger barbs

No one has said Danios. I have the same issue, all my fish seem to be more at the bottom (4corys, 2bolivian rams, and 10neons). While Danios are a bit common, I'm thinking getting a combo of golden and long-finned Danios... 6 or so. Any thoughts on this?

I have a shoal of eight long finned blue danios and they are all over the tank. They are hardy fish if one is careful to select those that appear healthy. No crooked spines,and bellies should look round. Would stay away from these fish if they appear to look skinny or bellies make it look as though the fish is starving. (see wasting disease,or "skinny disease) with regards to danios.
They too do much better in cooler temps in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for your replies, they have been a wonderful help. Time to start googling and reading up on all the suggestions and make a decision :D

Most reactions

Back