Ickle Baby Monsters Update: 5/18

invader

I'm a girl.
Reaction score
I just got these in the mail (finally!) and they are little tiny things! They have always been a dream fish and I can't wait to see them in the 125. For now, they're in a 10gl, moving to a 30gl tomorrow for growout.

DSC00960.jpg

Sorry, I only have one image. They are so wiggly! Most of the pics came out like this.

DSC00992-1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how big do they grow?

and what site did you get them from?

how big do they grow?

They grow about 8" or more, depending on the sex.

I got them off of Aquabid -- payed an obscene amount for them, too. I haven't seen them for sale for over a year and I snatched them up when I could.

Here's a good site with VERY nice pics of wild adults: http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/g.tapajo.htm

what is the id for this fish. i just bought two of these at the lfs for like $3. i couldnt find the id for them. thx

what is the id for this fish. i just bought two of these at the lfs for like $3. i couldnt find the id for them. thx
My fish are Geophagus sp. "Red Head" Tapajos. When they are that small, it's practically impossible to ID them, unless you are buying from a breeder. You could have anything in the Geophagus family that is similar to surinamensis. There are many fish that look much like the surinamensis, but have subtle differences. You'll just have to wait and see what they turn out to be. Honestly, they are probably regular surinams.

looking good! i love red head tapajos, then again i love all geophagus
:drool: Geophagus are my favorite cichlid genus :drool:

My fish are Geophagus sp. "Red Head" Tapajos. When they are that small, it's practically impossible to ID them, unless you are buying from a breeder. You could have anything in the Geophagus family that is similar to surinamensis. There are many fish that look much like the surinamensis, but have subtle differences. You'll just have to wait and see what they turn out to be. Honestly, they are probably regular surinams.

ok thx. well see in about a few months. but mies look exactly like yours. it has some sparkly speckles growing right behind the gills now though

ok thx. well see in about a few months. but mies look exactly like yours. it has some sparkly speckles growing right behind the gills now though
Like I said, they all look the same at this age, so we'll just have to see! Post pics of yours when it gets bigger!

how big do they grow?

They grow about 8" or more, depending on the sex.

I got them off of Aquabid -- payed an obscene amount for them, too. I haven't seen them for sale for over a year and I snatched them up when I could.

Here's a good site with VERY nice pics of wild adults: [URL="http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/g.tapajo.htm"]http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/g.tapajo.htm[/URL]

those are beautiful :) so when you say an obscene amount...

Nice fish.

I think most cichlids look so cute when they are little especially when you know what a fully grown one looks like.

I have some little Keyholes at the moment, very cute little fish.

heres mines.
That looks more like an african cichlid to me, especially when you see it's mouth. My fish are South American species. Why don't you post that pic in the african section to get more of a confirmation?

Nice fish.

I think most cichlids look so cute when they are little especially when you know what a fully grown one looks like.

I have some little Keyholes at the moment, very cute little fish.
I know what you mean! They've already grown a little bit :wub:

I have a keyhole, too. I got him when he was about the same size as these guys and now he's about 5"! Fat, too! :lol:

arn't keyholes great? how long did it take for your keyhole to get that size? i have had mine for like half a year and hes only 2-ish inches

to koulaid

that is an african cichlid, i can really tell what it is but it looks like a hybrid, but im not to good at iding mbuna

really. dang it. ok will post on african thread. thx anyways

Most reactions

Back