Ich Treatment Procedure

ManxScam78

Reaction score
Ive been keeping tropical fish for 15yrs now and not had any problems until afew days ago. I bought some new fish and plants 2 weeks ago (6 cardinals, 2 dwarf gouramis, betta) Then afew days ago i noticed one of the dwarfs was spending alot of time at the surface and seemed abit twitchy. Next day my Cardinals had ich then they all had it. I did a 30% water change and put 13mls of Interpet No.6 into the tank (Juwel 125 litre) Ive been reading up on ich but im quite confused as theres lots of mixed information. Ive upped the temp to 79f not sure if it will go much higher as its a standard heater i got with the tank. Will the treatment harm my plants? Shall i keep the light off? Do i add salt?(I have a plec, 3 clown loaches and 2 black widow tetras aswell as the fish i bought recently) Only have 1 cardinal left as 5 died during the night. I add the next dose of meds on Monday... shall i do a water change before i add?

I found the Interpet stuff to be good, but follow the instructions to the letter. If it says do a water change, then do one. If not, don't. And don't put salt in either. The treatment won't (or shouldn't) harm your plants.

Hi ManxScam78,

I am new to the hobby, but I can tell you that I have had experience with ick.  I had two mollies in my tank, and one of the mollies was bullying the other one, chasing, and trying to bite her.  I removed her and put her in my friends tank.  Now, her ick is gone.  It was gone the next day.  So I am unsure if they are getting ick from stress of the new fish, maybe one of them is a bully?  Keep an eye out for that.  Also I heard that using the fish net can remove their slime coat, causing ick, not sure if you have used that.  

ManxScam78 said:
Ive been keeping tropical fish for 15yrs now and not had any problems until afew days ago. I bought some new fish and plants 2 weeks ago (6 cardinals, 2 dwarf gouramis, betta) Then afew days ago i noticed one of the dwarfs was spending alot of time at the surface and seemed abit twitchy. Next day my Cardinals had ich then they all had it. I did a 30% water change and put 13mls of Interpet No.6 into the tank (Juwel 125 litre) Ive been reading up on ich but im quite confused as theres lots of mixed information. Ive upped the temp to 79f not sure if it will go much higher as its a standard heater i got with the tank. Will the treatment harm my plants? Shall i keep the light off? Do i add salt?(I have a plec, 3 clown loaches and 2 black widow tetras aswell as the fish i bought recently) Only have 1 cardinal left as 5 died during the night. I add the next dose of meds on Monday... shall i do a water change before i add?

Most reactions

Back