I would like some tank opinions.....

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I purchased a bunch of used tanks, as many of you know, and I had a seal break on one of the 55 Gallons.

Now, I am going to repair the tank and build a good stand for it and take stops to hopefully prevent any further problems, but these were used so I am looking at purchasing a new tank.

I have a few options:

1. Simply replace the 55 Gallons (2) with new ones.

2. Purchase 75 Gallon and have money leftover for a good outfitting.

3. Purchase a 125 Gallon. There will be little to no money leftover but I have almost everything to outfit it right now.

I would like opinions.

that is a very hard decision to make! but i would get the 125 because when your guests see it they will be like "WOW!" :eek:

There is a 4th option, which would be a 90 Gallon.

Basically the break down is this:
55 Gallon = $99.00
75 Gallon = $135.00
90 Gallon = $169.00
125 Gallon = $299.00

Edit: I have $400.00 I can put into this.

I have 1 Pengiun 330, 1 Penguin 170, 1 Aqua-Tech 20/40 Filters

1 Via-Aqua Titanium 250W, 1 Via-Aqua Titanium 200W, 1 Rena-Cal TopLight 300W, 1 TetraTec 100W, and 1 misc 25W for heaters

I have to outfit the 30 Gallon and the 10 also and eventually I will move the 30 Gallon stuff to the 45.

The bigger the better, but I would go for the 90 and a 55, if that's at all possible. According to your budget it is.

Hi ddreams :)

Since you are a relative newcomer to the hobby, I suggest you wait a little longer before making such a big investment. You already have a good number of them and as you learn more and more about the different kinds of fish available and their individual needs, your tastes might change.

There are also many more choices in tank sizes and shapes. Here is a link to the All-Glass site that shows them:

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

BTW, do you have enough space, and can your floor support the weight of several large aquariums? :dunno:

I like the idea of the 90. It has been rolling around in my head. I only want to buy one tank right now because I am going to build stands and completely reseal both 55 Gallons. Then I am going to fill them with water, sand, etc... and let them sit. I'm going to give them about 3 weeks and see if either start leaking before I add fish.

One of them doesn't leak now, but I just don't trust them. But I'm also not willing to give up on a 100.00 tank for something I might be able to correct for $7.00....

I want another tank anyways and I decided my best bet is to get the tank and get it setup so I can sleep well, then completely repair the two 55 Gallons.

It's not wet carpet or damaged floor that worries me, it's the fish damage that worries me if you can understand. :sad:

Ah, but big can be defined one of two ways.

Big tank in size or
big tank in the fact it has all the great extras. :)

Inchworm said:
Hi ddreams :)

Since you are a relative newcomer to the hobby, I suggest you wait a little longer before making such a big investment. You already have a good number of them and as you learn more and more about the different kinds of fish available and their individual needs, your tastes might change.

There are also many more choices in tank sizes and shapes. Here is a link to the All-Glass site that shows them:

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

BTW, do you have enough space, and can your floor support the weight of several large aquariums? :dunno:
My floor can support the weight, that isn't an issue.

I had a bottom seam blow-out and both of these tanks came from the same place. I plan on doing a repair and test, but I would rather not do this with fish. I would rather replace my main community tank, then work on these tanks.

I know you, inch worm, of all people can understand not wanting to endanger your fish. :)

125G :p

im getting a 75G or larger dec-feb
got my second 29G to manage till then

Hi DDreams!

Inchworm has a good point.

How will you be cleaning? Python. Cause if not a 125 will be a pain to do water changes with. And 125 gals will be VERY heavy on your floor. and then their is maintaing Filters and such. Depending on how much time and money you want to invest "maintaining" your tank, bigger is not always better.

Some here may say that 55g is small but I think its a good starting size.

IMHO

Good luck and tell us which one you choose.

Well, I agree that bigger is not always better. And yes, I have a python and I wouldn't live without it. :)

I'm leaning more towards the 90 Gallon because then I will have enough left to buy a nice canister filter for it, some driftwood, etc...

Well, I have all weekend to clean and I have thought long and hard about this.

I'm going with the 90 Gallon. Inchworm, to set your mind at ease this isn't "another" tank it's a replacement for my 55 Gallon Community so I can take the time to repair it along with the one that the seam broke on. It is to set my mind at ease so I can sleap well.

I went with the 90 Gallon because I literally already have all the equipment to set it up, which allows me more funds for adding new things I don't have, such as a nicer piece of different, maybe some more rocks, some new plants, etc....

Now for the cleaning part. I live in a 3 Bedroom, but I am single. One room is a guest room, but the other....... I'm going to turn it into a fish room and I'm going to pick up 3 or 4 10 Gallons for it.

Why? Because I like the idea of raising corys, I'm enjoying watching these fry, I want to raise guppys but that isn't good for a community tank, and I have thoughts of maybe breading other fish.

I figure by starting a fish room now, I can have more availability to do more later. And 3 or 4 10 gallon tanks won't cost much. :) I already have an air pump that would easily run 5 or 6 sponge filters.

I also think I will enjoy it this way more because I have a good place for the 90 in the living room, I'm putting the 45 Gallon Puffer tank when I set it up in the Kitchen then I can put one 55 Gallon in my bedroom, the other in the fish room, and the 30 Gallon Long in the guest room. :)

Well, I made my decision and ordered the tank today. It will be in the end of next week.

I went with a 125 Gallon tank and before anyone starts berating me I want to explain a little.

I can not be sure when I will have the spare cash to buy another large tank. I was going to do a 90 but I found out that for a Planted tank they are very hard to light properly.

I still have the 2 55 Gallons, although I may be selling one, for other things and can do a lot when I have time.

Basically my main community tank will be the 125 Gallon tank and I wil have it, a few 10 Gallons for fry/breeding and the 45 Gallon puffer tank that I am setting up.

That's it for now and I will setup the others as I learn more.

My main reason for going to the 125 Gallon was length I have a common Pleco that will get up to 12" and would be cramped in the 4' tanks. The price difference between a 100 and 125 was like $10.00 :/ so I went with the 125...

Most reactions

Back