I use tap water to do 25%water changes

oscar_lover2005

Reaction score
Is it alright to use tap water when doing a weekly water change? I am new here by the way.

You really should use dechlorinator.

Or you can age it, but I'm not sure of this, I THINK aging removes chlorine but I'm not sure how long to age it.

Tap water is fine as long as you use a water conditioner. Aging will get rid of chlorine, but you'd better not have chloromine in the water if you go with this method. No point in aging anyway since conditioners work instantly and get rid of additional harmful elements other then chlorine - ones that won't dissipate with time.

Exactly. Chlorine will leave the water after about 24 hours of aging, but chloramine will not. That's exactly why chloramine was developed to be put in drinking water, to keep it 'cleaner' for longer periods of time. Pretty much no matter where you live, you'll have both in your tap water, so you'll have to use a dechlorinator/dechloraminator. Wherever you buy aquarium supplies will have something to use, you can just ask them.

If you don't remove chlorines and chloramines from your water, your fish won't last very long. It directly affects them because it is physically bad for them and for their skin. Indirectly, though, it kills beneficial bacteria, the kind you want in your tank because they get rid of dangerous chemicals like ammonia and nitrite, which will allow these dangerous chemicals to build up and either kill your fish or render them susceptible to disease.

FYI chlorine causes a cellular breakdown in the gills and the fish literally sufficates to death as they can no longer pull oxygen out of the water.

Most reactions

Back