I now have two bettas. -_-

soritan

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, I recently went on a long vacation out-of-country. While I was out, I got it into my head that it was impossible for me to have the betta I left back home, but if I saw one I liked abroad, I'd nab it and call it my own.

I got lucky, he'd only been in the shop for a few hours before I found him. He's a skinny-ish little marble veiltail with a spotty tail. He won't flare yet, but I came home today and he'd built a bubble nest. Oo

He's in a temporary home now, a little plastic pet carrier thing. I'm going to move him to a 1.25G here in the future, and possibly a 2.5 or 10G later.

My red veiltail, Sori, is going to sit right where he is, at my desk. I like him there (he seems to thrive on attention, too) -- but this little guy, as yet unnamed, is going to be elsewhere in my bedroom.

You shoulda seen me lug him around the airport. "Are you dead, fish?" *blup* "Good fishy, don't die now." So I lugged him from one state to another, on a jet, in a little plastic box and bag. I was one determined owner.

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

And he just went on a little adventure on the carpet. >< I dropped him when moving him from the tiny pet carrier to a 1.25G bowl. He's a little shocked but I think he'll be fine.

He's so small compared to Sori, and he goes from white to purple so fast. Oo I swear, he was just white with spots when I bought him, but he seems to turn lavender whenever he feels like it. I heard mables change color often, but I didn't realize it was quite that often. Oo;

He's so cute, he actually has to swim around the 1.25G bowl. It's kinda funny that he's the one that's gonna move on to bigger bowls. It seems like it really ought to be the other way around. Big, red, Sori in the 10G, and the little guy in the little bowl. I need to put a plant or something in there so he can calm down. If he's anything like Sori, he feels really vulnerable in there with no cover.

I've had great luck with sprigs of creeping charlie (that's a common name, it's some type of ivy with roundish leaves), maybe I'll steal him a sprig, too. Sori likes to play in his, and if I remove it, or replace it, he gets all nervous.

I need to stop comparing the new boy to Sori. *laugh*

He doesn't feel save enough to interact with me yet, so I'm not really sure what his real personality is like yet. He seems fine most of the time, except when I try and show him to Sori or mirror, or Hikari package, then he'll run away. He's not butch like Sori is. At least, not yet.

You just wait. Given time and some peace and quiet, he'll probably be just as big and mean as any of them. :)

I tend to name things for my own, weird reasons, that are hard to explain.

I think I'll name him .... nah, i'll think about it a bit more.

Are you allowed to bring fish into your country (from whichever country) without any quarantine or regulations ? :crazy:

if you read my posts, i say that he moved from one state to another, not from one country to another.

i had to stop in Washington State for 3 days before my return voyage home.

I only saw a couple bettas while abroad, and they were solid blue veiltails. I'm not a big fan of those guys, although they were only around $3USD. Nooooot impressed, but I picked them up and looked them over. They were healthy fish, that's for sure.

Japan wasn't big on bettas, least ways, not the stores I went to. They were more enamoured of puppies, kittens, and beatles.

Most reactions

Back