I Need To Get Rid Of These Pest Snails!

aly_starh

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
As topic, they have now had babies, parents are black bodied with brown shells, babies are white bodied with white shells/black dots.

They are in my community tank, how do i get rid of them ASAP? Have tried taking some out with a net but theres more!
:(

~betta_246

There are chemical treatments to get rid of it; you can pick them out or set a trap; put some food down (cucumber) and they will attach to it and then you can remove lots at once.

I think I read chemical treatments can be bad for fish.

Depending on size of tank and other inhabitants - get 3 zebra loaches (Botia striata).
These little dudes get to about 3.5-4" long but are narrow bodied and they love nothing better than to chow down on your pest snails :sick:
However, they won't touch nerite snails, ramshorn or MTS.
Mine cleared up my snail excess in next to no time, now I spot the odd pest snail on occassion but that's it.

Getting a new fish that you are not 100% sure you want to solve a snail "problem" is idiotic. The chemical treatments kill all inverts in a tank under the water level through a high dose of copper, some fish are copper sensitive aswell but the main harm is you have hundreds of rotting snails releasing an ammonia spike into the water which causes the filter to overload and thus you get dead fishies.

Either embrace the snails or be slow and steady with your eradication method (the best method of eradication is prevention and you should of washed your plants if you didn't want hitchhikers). Embrace them as they will eat excess fish food, keep algae growth minimal, quite beautiful when they become larger and the light speckles through their shells, some species sift through the sand thus turning it and preventing bacteria build up, MTS eat detritus thus minimising the need to gravel vac and they fill ecological niches you would otherwise have to do artificially. To eradicate you should spend a week not feeding your fish, place cucumber in the tank for 2-3 hours with the lights off and remove once the snails are thoroughly chowing down several times a day, do not squash against the glass as this may cause them to release eggs instead pick them off and throw away. After your week long onslaught of consistent physical removal of the snails use a high copper chemical treatment designed to remove pest snails for a week and feed your fish sparingly every 2 days ensuring no waste. Then return the tank to normal light, feeding regime and run carbon in the filter for 2 weeks to remove the excess copper.

Also i have heard that the snail treatments dont work if you have used declorinator in you water.

Also i have heard that the snail treatments dont work if you have used declorinator in you water.

Strange that this topic should come up now...... just today, I googled about the same thing going on in my tank ..... (unsightly invasion of trumpets).... & from what I've established, the Yoyo loaches are the best total sollution......There are however, some reservations.... they will not be recommended if you have smallish fish in your tank.

UPDATE:
i took out substrate and plants, gave it a wash around 3 days ago. No sign of any snails so far!! :)

Will the cucumber thing work if i carry on feeding my fish but lower the amount?
I need to catch some of my many snails lol and i have some young fish

I tried putting a piece of cucumber in my tank last night and no snails were on it this morning, so ive put a plant weight through it to keep it on the floor of the tank and im waiting to see wether it works.

Try getting some snail predators....like some cichlids, cockoo catfish or the green spotted puffer....... when I see snails in one of my tanks, I bring a puffer or two from the other tank, those snails are the hamburgers of green spotted puffers world hahaha. GET IT?

Most reactions

Back