I need more lighting

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I was looking at the twin flourescent bulb at the pet stores and they are like $150. A scosh out of my price range (by about 100 bucks).

I was wondering if I can go to The Building Box/Home Depot type of stores and buy a light fixture like this one. That is of course if it is the right length. I have no clue if that would be suitable for use in an aquarium. It's less than $20, and much more affordable. What do all you DIYers think?

You might have to check the kelvin rating, but other than that I see no problem other than mounting that on your hood.

Personally I use two shop lights with 4 x 30W = 120W for my 55 gallon. Then we are going to build a wooden hood so it doesn't look as bad. :)

I use Philips Sunlight bulbs which are 5000K which is still in the rigt color temperature range not to mention they only cost about $8 a piece. My plants are doing good too.

canoechiq said:
would this bulb be ok? still only 1, but its it designed for plants. would it be enough for the fish as well?

Flora-Glo bulb
Most fish don't really care how much light is in their tank; I think 0.5 WPG is enough for most fish. Lots of fish prefer low-light environments. The only fish I know of that really likes high light are the Australian Rainbow Fishes. They like all the light you can give them; they love it when their tank gets some sunlight.

Hey Canoechiq! Thanks for pointing out that link to the lamp at Rona. I was just looking for cheap lighting options and was about to search Rona's site when I found this thread.

So here's what I ended up doing. I went to Home Depot and bought a dual strip light (only 24 inch since they didnt carry 36's) and 2 6500K bulbs - I think the guy said they were "daylight" bulbs. They are 20 watt bulbs, which gives me 40 in a 35gal = 1.21WPG What is that considered? Medium, or still on the lowside?

Oh. PS. They say T12 on them. I have no idea what that means, but I notice a lot of people mention a T number when it comes to lights

T12 refers to diameter.

18 inch high tank, I would consider it on the low side of medium.

But then you ae talking to someone with over 1600 watts on their tank.. B)

GL

The size T12 is the size of the lamp. They are measured in 1/8ths of an inch. So a T12 would be 1.5" in diameter 12/8 = 1 1/2. A T8 would be 1" 8/8 = 1 and a T5 would be 5/8"

Hope this helps you all

Thanks for the info on the T numbers. that helps!

Also, I found a shop that sells 3 foot fixtures, so I returned the 2 footer, and upgraded to the 3. The bulbs are now 30 a peice, so I have a whopping 60 watts! I think that gives me 1.75 WPG now. Huzzah!

Most reactions

Back