I Lost A Fish!?!?!?

RoLo

Reaction score
Last night before going to bed, I noticed I only saw 2 of my 3 Pearl Danio's in my 10 gallon tank, but I didn't think anything of it and just thought he was hiding. So this morning when I woke up I checked again...and still nothing. I have removed all my decorations and even moved around my gravel and still nothing. And what makes this situation even weirder is that my other 2 Pearl Danio's are acting EXTREMLEY WEIRD!!! They go from flying back and forth wrecklessly to just floating at the top, usually either behind my aquarium heater or filter. Now, yesterday afternoon I did a water change, and when I was done, I am 110% sure all 3 were in there. I even scanned my room just to be sure it didn't magically jump out. I even looked inside my filter just to make sure it didn't magically squeeze through the grid's on my filter. I am left to believe only one thing...the other 2 ate it!?!? But I find it really hard to believe that as there is NOTHING left behind...I mean, if they did eat it, they really scraped the plate clean...no crumbs no nothing. So my question here is...what happened to my fish? I don't even know what to believe! And as I am still fairly new to this hobby, it's freaking me out! Everyone I have told this to just laughs and say the other 2 must have eaten it, but...I...just...??? Any help or even other possibilities to assit me with the great mystery I have on my hands is truly and greatly appreciated. And just to give more information, I have filled this out:

1. Water Parameters: Ammonia: 0.50ppm - Nitrite: 0ppm - Nitrate: 5.0ppm - pH: 7.6 - Temperature: 23 celcius or 74 fahrenheit
2. I change my water 2-3 times a week and when I do, I do about 85-90%(I know I should do it more often, but with my schedule it is hard)
3. When I do water changes, I use Water Conditioner, Bio-Support, and Bio-Clean.
4. I only have the 3 Pearl Danio's in the tank.
5. Tank is 10 gallons.

Also just thought I would note, I've had my tank up and running for about 2 months and 3 weeks now, and only after purchasing my 3 Pearl Danio's did I learn that they need more then a 10 gallon tank, which is why they are agressive in my tank. But I was told by someone on here to just continue with the fish I had until my filter was completley cycled, and then to get rid of them and add new fish. Also, my fish have been having babies(I think fry is the correct term) but because I have to get rid of my fish eventually anyway, I have not paid much attention to them and which ever ones I see in my dirty water when I do a water change I just pour them down the sink.

I have not paid much attention to them and which ever ones I see in my dirty water when I do a water change I just pour them down the sink.

:blink: seriously

0.50ppm ammonia is a high reading

They probably ate it. Waste not want not.
If you don't want the fry, leave it in the tank and they'll probably take care of it (most fish eat their own fry and there aren't many places to hide in a 10g tank) or offer them to someone on here as I am sure someone would love to take care of some baby danios.
0.5 ammonia is the probable cause of death/strange behaviour. Do a 70-90% water change, right now.

They probably ate it. Waste not want not.
If you don't want the fry, leave it in the tank and they'll probably take care of it (most fish eat their own fry and there aren't many places to hide in a 10g tank) or offer them to someone on here as I am sure someone would love to take care of some baby danios.
0.5 ammonia is the probable cause of death/strange behaviour. Do a 70-90% water change, right now.
Well it's hard to see the fry which is why it's hard to avoid them during a water change, but the ones I do spot I leave them in. And hey, by all means, I am from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, if anyone wants the fry, feel free to pm me.

Now another question up in the air for me is do I keep the two danios until my filter gets cycled or do I get rid of them now and continue fishless?

Now another question up in the air for me is do I keep the two danios until my filter gets cycled or do I get rid of them now and continue fishless?

Depends what you mean by 'get rid'. If you mean re-home them to a friend or local fish store, then yes, i would do that.But if you mean..well, i'm not going there.

Terry.

Take them back to the shop it give them to a friend with a mature tank, it will be easier on all of you!

I returned them to the fish store today. Now, how should I go about my fishless cycle?

Most reactions

Back