I know why...

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I know why my 20g long looks sooo terrible. It’s the lighting. At first I thought it was because the glass wasn’t clear. (Because the lady used to keep guppies. Guppies = large calcium build up)

But, after I did this side by side comparison, I saw that the light I got froher was garbage:

The light I bought from her:
948D0389-C851-45F9-8172-B9B61CA5E4BB.jpeg

The light from my 29g tank:
F839F72A-E184-44B8-8D15-C911B4C828EC.jpeg

So what my plan is, is to go to GoodWill and find another desk lamp like the one in picture #2 and put it on my 20g long. The plants have really taken off though. I can’t wait until this bad boy looks as good as my 29g! :)

Thoughts?

(Note: The camera doesn’t really capture what I’m seeing. Picture #2 looks WAY better. Also, the light wasn’t that well positioned)

A bunch of corys / Serpae Will looks good in that tank :fish: :fish: love it so much!
Believe me, I would love to get more. They are just sooo expensive here.

I will get more zebra danios for the lone one, when I can afford it. :fish:

Why would guppies cause calcium build up? Guppies don't produce calcium

If you have problems with hard water stains on your glass, I'd recommend stripping down the tank and cleaning it up with Barkeepers Friend. It's cheap and works a treat. Literally takes an hour at most to clean up a dirty tank. You can just rinse it off, dry it with a towel and set your tank back up, no extra bother of sterilising harmful chemicals etc. There's a few different types, I use the powder, made a crusty old tank I bought look brand new. I swear by it

Do you have any info for the the light fitting in the top pic? Looks like a light dedicated to plant growth? Does it have red and blue LEDs?

I like my 20 long better than my 29 tall tanks, easier to work in and just a better look to it. I am jealous of your annacharis/ I have a few pieces but I have to fight to keep the snails from eating the "leaves" off.
I had an issue with my pond snails eating the leaves off. That’s why I remove them as soon as I see any. No harm done... yet.

I actually have more Anacharis in my 20g long than I do in my 29g.

I had an issue with my pond snails eating the leaves off. That’s why I remove them as soon as I see any. No harm done... yet.

I actually have more Anacharis in my 20g long than I do in my 29g.
I have been removing them too as soon as I see them on my anacharis, I have mostly bare stems now and I hope the leaves will grow back.

Yes, it is unfortunate... all of those stems turned white and then rotted. I guess that’s what I get for adding pond snails to my tank. :dunno:
I found pond snails in my wife's rain water catching bin. :dunno: I am using hornwort and moneywort but the hornwort just does not look as good as the anacharis

Most reactions

Back