I Just Wanted To Double Check

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My betta is fully mature, his water stats are perfect and have been the entire time I've had him.

In the last month or so, probably a bit longer, he takes naps on and off during the day.  I have considered this to be a normal activity as everything else about him is perfectly fine.  So... my daughter (age 8) only just noticed for the first time that he was napping and felt a bit freaked out by it and now keeps asking if I am sure he is fine.  He does look really creepy when he sleeps, he looks frozen in time half balanced on a leaf.

We have had the recent addition of a horned nerite snail but he has been napping since before that anyway.

This is normal betta behavior right?

I've not kept Bettas so am certainly not one to take word on.

Just done a quick bit of research, seems Bettas do sleep fairly often during the day, usually two things makes them sleep more often, tank temp a little too cool, also they have long fins and generally get tired quite quickly after swimming around for a while or just plain and simple boredom.

Have heard there are ways to stimulate your Betta, a mirror for him to see his own reflection will make hime flare and act tough, but no more than 5 to 10 mins of this though. Or a simple clean ping pong ball floating at water surface will get him to push the ball around perhaps.

These are just suggestions, am actually hoping someone more knowledgable will either confirm these suggestion or simply tell me off 
laugh.png

I'd like to know myself as may one day have a Betta so would like to learn a bit more myself 
smile.png

To me the temperature has felt cool, but seeing as the heater is working and the thermometer says 80 it must be just me feeling hotter than the water.  He flares often at his shadow in the corner already.  LOL  We call that corner the evil corner of doom.  I'd love something floaty for him to play with... I did buy a pack of 12 ping pong balls and I do put 2 in there but he doesn't seem to care other than sometimes he will hover under them doing nothing.  We also put all sorts of toys and action figures alternated around his tank and so far he seems to like the mole from Poland best.  LOL

He must be tired or bored I guess!  It would be nice if I could find something that bobbed up and down rather than just floated...he'd probably find that interesting.

Betta fish really, really, really like to nap.

It's a known fact!

It seems so, he did seem to be more active previously, but he was also not fully grown then.  I've been rotating all sorts of things outside his tank and he still naps.  Shame they have to look dead when they nap  LOL  it is disturbing!

The male Bettas I'd had both liked to nap as well. Maybe it's tiring dragging those long fins around? My female Betta is a lot more active compared to the males. Not sure if that's normal though, lol! :)

If the tank feels cool you might want to double check the temperature of the tank with another thermometer. You could try an instant read thermometer or another aquarium thermometer. Sometimes the scale on the thermometer is off so it might say 80 but really be cooler than that.

Bettas often like to "nap" on floating leaves and such. It can't be easy dragging those fins around all the time. Let the little guy have his break
wink.png

pnyf said:
If the tank feels cool you might want to double check the temperature of the tank with another thermometer. You could try an instant read thermometer or another aquarium thermometer. Sometimes the scale on the thermometer is off so it might say 80 but really be cooler than that.

That was a good idea.  I pulled out my spare thermometer and it reads the same as my current one, so the temperature must be fine.  Must be just tired a lot!

Could it be the environment?

I have always seen bettas lying lifeless when they are on the shelves for sale.

But in fact, they are not dead.

Bettas snooze more at the end of their life cycle, if in an active tank.  They will tend to hide in a corner or in an inactive spot of the tank.  Bettas only live about two years and when you buy them you don't know how old they are.  A young healthy betta will be one of the most active fish in the tank...and will meet you at the surface to feed and nip your finger....my bettas will sometimes alight on a plant for a rest...yes.......because with their heavy fins they swim hard in filtered tanks....I always keep a betta in my community tanks....and love their colors....

I'm sure he isn't at the end of his life.  I got him from a breeder instead of the LFS after having a bad incident with my first betta who was from Pets At Home.  I had to go back to my album and calculate his age...he should be about 10 1/2 months old now.

It isn't that he rests all the time... but he used to just be doing something all the time and now, he takes a good number of naps a day.  So... it they live about 2 years... he must be approaching middle age?  LOL

My first Betta was at least 3 yrs old, got him second hand. I've heard of others whose Bettas lived 4 or even 5 yrs. 

Most reactions

Back