I have a dilemma! Opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something has occurred to me.

@wtusa17 Have you put any live plants in the new tank?

If there are live plants, the nitrate level should be no higher than the tap water level as plants would take up the ammonia made by the 2 snails.
Yes I have many plants. I don’t know why she keeps stating the same thing even tho media doesn’t transfer nitrates…

If there are lots of plants there shouldn't be any ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate should be the same as the tap level. Leave it a couple of days to make sure them put the shrimps in. Check the readings every day afterwards till you know they are staying at zero.

I'm going to have to do an experiment - set up my QT and transfer the oldest, most mature media I have into it. I'll measure nitrate when there's only just tap water before I move the media, then check on the nitrate level at intervals after the media is put in the tank. But not this evening (it's 7 pm here at the moment).

If there are lots of plants there shouldn't be any ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate should be the same as the tap level. Leave it a couple of days to make sure them put the shrimps in. Check the readings every day afterwards till you know they are staying at zero.

I'm going to have to do an experiment - set up my QT and transfer the oldest, most mature media I have into it. I'll measure nitrate when there's only just tap water before I move the media, then check on the nitrate level at intervals after the media is put in the tank. But not this evening (it's 7 pm here at the moment).
Be sure to dechlorinate the water before adding filter media. Can’t wait to prove him and JuiceBox52 wrong!

Be sure to dechlorinate the water before adding filter media. Can’t wait to prove him and JuiceBox52 wrong!
Jesus why is this a competition??? Scientifically nitrates aren’t what we are achieving with adding seeded media…

Be sure to use clean media like I did

That's what I intend to do - I always add dechlorinator to the bucket before running the water in so that I don't forget. And I would not add dirty media to any tank.

Jesus why is this a competition??? Scientifically nitrates aren’t what we are achieving with adding seeded media…
It’s not a competition at all. I really wish you would watch your words to . Jesus and calling me Buddy are offensive. I have a name. Anyway, back to point...it’s not a competition at all. It’s a lesson so we all have the correct information. I never said nitrates were in BB. As you will see,, the BB develops through the nitrogen cycle as I explained previously. First you have ammonia and bacteria builds to eat it. Then you get nitrite and bacteria builds to eat it. Finally, you get nitrate which is the end result thus, having a cycled tank with bb. Then you control the nitrate with water changes. Have you added your bb yet? Depending on how much you added, you can test to see if you have nitrates yet.

Be sure to use clean media like I did
What? If you used clean media it won’t work. That’s the miscommunication. You have to seed with used media! Wait, you said you had a seed sponge filter.

What? If you used clean media it won’t work. That’s the miscommunication. You have to see with used media!
Yes.used media. With the bacteria. You should use cleaned (aka no gunk) though

Yes.used media. With the bacteria. You should use cleaned (aka no gunk) though
You can only clean it in tank water or you killed the BB. A little gunk is fine. IMO, the more gunk, the better.

Gonna go seed a 10G a need to move a betta into...

Duh. I just took him out and put him in a bucket. Dumped the water. That won’t prove any thing. Lol! Let me go finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back