I have a dilemma! Opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, if you meant it was all zeros last night, then a newly set up tank would have all zeros because it's brand new. All you were doing was testing tap water in the tank. Assuming your tap water has all zeros.

You can't risk adding the shrimps until you know the sponge filter has enough bacteria.
That’s why I added the snails. I’ll test today and hopefully they produced some waste so it has no ammonia and has nitrates

Were you testing tap water or tank water with the seeded media in it? My seeded media always shows nitrates almost immediately. It already has beneficial bacteria in it. So all you have to do is continue to feed it with new fish waste or fish food.

Ah, if you meant it was all zeros last night, then a newly set up tank would have all zeros because it's brand new. All you were doing was testing tap water in the tank. Assuming your tap water has all zeros.

You can't risk adding the shrimps until you know the sponge filter has enough bacteria.
No. He added used media.

Were you testing tap water or tank water with the seeded media in it? My seeded media always shows nitrates almost immediately. It already has beneficial bacteria in it. So all you have to do is continue to feed it with new fish waste or fish food.
Exactly. When you add waste nitrates would show that’s why I said it would just show 0,0,0 bc no waste was added at that time

The used media you put in already has nitrates in it from previous waste that built it. If not, why did you bother to use it? Aaargh!

The used media you put in already has nitrates in it from previous waste that built it. If not, why did you bother to use it? Aaargh!
Isnt the nitrates in the water, from the bacteria, not the media itself? So moving the media wouldnt be moving the nitrates?

Exactly. When you add waste nitrates would show that’s why I said it would just show 0,0,0 bc no waste was added at that time
. OMG. The bb comes from the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates that built it. Put the media in and you should have an automatic cycle which you will know by the nitrates. I quit!

How the heck are you going to know you have a cycled tank. Tell me that.
Holy Jesus. Adding seeded media alone won’t cycle a tank. When you add waste the bacteria turns the waste or ammonia to nitrates. Therefore, if I had just added media, like last nigh, I would have 0,0,0

This what you are doing...from Spruce Pets.

Seeding a new aquarium has become a popular practice. It is the process of transferring nitrifying bacteria from an established aquarium to a new aquarium. Seeding gives the new aquarium a jump start on the cycling process. Normally, it takes 4-6 weeks for the growth of beneficial bacteria to complete the nitrogen cycle in a new aquarium. It is not unusual for seeded aquariums to fully cycle in half the time it would normally take, thus allowing you to stock more fish in the new tank sooner. Seeding also helps to reduce stress on the fish and reduces or eliminates fish loss due to the startup cycle.

I keep extra sponges in all my tanks. Then, when I need a QT tank I just plop the extra sponge into a filter on QT tank. Usually, poof 0 ammonia, O nitrites, and some nitrates. Show up when tested in an hour. Automatic cycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back