I Am So Lucky

frazoo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so i was playing with my friends goats(2 doors down) and i see a stream with tons of cool lokin alge and junk in it, so i go and start poking the cool slimy alge and think,hey, this stuff looks like good guppy food. so me and my friend get some and bring it home and stick it in my guppy tank and they gobble it up. i thought this was sooooo fun watching my guppies so i decided to et a bit more, when i am there i look in the water and see these tiny tiny tiny shrimp swiming around wenever i pick up a bunch of alge. so now i have about 1 zilion of these kool guys in a bug box with 2 peas (thought they might eat it) and a bit of mud and alge on the bottem. i am thinking of uring these dudes but am not sure how. has anyone here ever sucsessfuly ured some freshwater shrimp before? if so can you post some info on how to ure?

p.s.
these guys are brown and about ww (<-that long(the ww's))
they swim like shrimp so thets why i think they are shrimp
if you are wondering why i found these guys at this time of year i didn't i found them 2 months ago when it was warm in NC
i have had them inside for awhile now

think they could be brine shrimp?

In a freshwater stream? no chance.

They're most likely freshwater mysis shrimp. ideal fish food but beware of introducing disease and paracites to your tank.

mysis.jpg

nope not bring whrimp they are about half the size of brine shrimp
mabe they are not shrimp at all mabe they are bugs

I know I am bringing up something from a week ago, but I couldn't help myself.

Brine shrimp cannot survive in fresh water. In the wild they live in a salty lake! If you put them in a freshwater aquarium, they will die if the fish don't eat them first.

first thing that instantly pop into my head was baby crawfish i meen you said creek an when i think creek i think small crawdads an slimy moss.

edit: i dont know much about shrimp i only have like 5 ghost shrimp :p

arnt brine shrimp those sea monkey things though. they live in fresh water..!

Sea monkeys don't need salt? Maybe they are different from brine shrimp? I always thought they were the same but I have no experience with them. The brine shrimp hatchery that I can get in my pet store requires salt. And they do live in very salty lakes in the wild. I have also heard people say that they die in their freshwater tanks if not eaten, but I don't use them myself. I am about to try some with my puffer but that won't help us here because he's brackish.

Sea Monkeys and brine shrimp are the same, they need very salty water they will die in fresh. When you buy sea monkeys they give you a substance to put in the water, this is mainly salt. When sea monkeys die you can dry out the tank (by leaving the lid off) you can then leave it a bit, add water and if your lucky you'll get more sea monkeys (the salt is still in the tank - it doesn't evaporate so when you add water it becomes liveable for their young).

i never had no subsrtare and they lived. oh well they must have put it somewhere else.

Most reactions

Back