hypancistrus inspector vs hypancistrus contradens

GuppyBreeder180604

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello, today as i was watching some fish stuff i decided to research a little further the hypancistrus family, my two favourite are hypancistrus debilittera and hypancistrus contradens, the thing is that as i was searching for contradens i found that i was being recommended inspector stuff, and as i searched for pictures of both there were pics that appeared for both species, so, what is the difference between the 2 of them?
can anyone provide a good side by side comparation?
Just a little doubt i had.

There are nine distinct species currently recognized in the genus Hypancistrus, and most of these (all but one in fact) were described during the last two decades by J.W. Armbruster either solely or in the company of fellow ichthyologists. Planet Catfish is an excellent resource for the Siluriformes (the scientific order of fish that includes all catfish). They have a page of photos of both species mentioned with data:

There are nine distinct species currently recognized in the genus Hypancistrus, and most of these (all but one in fact) were described during the last two decades by J.W. Armbruster either solely or in the company of fellow ichthyologists. Planet Catfish is an excellent resource for the Siluriformes (the scientific order of fish that includes all catfish). They have a page of photos of both species mentioned with data:

i see, thanks a lot! will use planet catfish for all my loricarid research from now on (and seriously fish), after checking the photos i realised that the shared pics between species belong to H. contradens

Great looking fish. Just consider that for every one that has reached your tank most probably 10 have died. So just realize these fish end up in your aquarium at a huge cost to the fish.

i see, thanks a lot! will use planet catfish for all my loricarid research from now on (and seriously fish), after checking the photos i realised that the shared pics between species belong to H. contradens

Heiko Bleher advised me a few years ago to absolutely never use images found on the internet to determine the species, unless the image was from someone with the knowledge. If you do a "Google" search for species "x" you will find photos of more than one species, mislabeled, every time. If you know you have say a Corydoras fish, search "Corydoras" on reliable sites like Planet Catfish, CorydorasWorld [this site needs a membership] or Seriously Fish. PC (or CW) is the best for this particular example because they have a page of photos of all identified species and the C and CW number species.

Most reactions

Back