How To Reduce Flow?

what you can do, is on the portion of the filter where it comes out, on the little flap where it curves, it carefully cut a piece of plastic and get some aquarium safe glue, put it on there and it will reduce flow IMMENSLY idk if you want the flow that low though.

You could use a Fluval sponge prefilter on the inlet strainer that will slightly reduce inlet water.
You can make a simple filter baffle using an empty plastic water bottle - search for "filter baffle" on Youtube for simple instructions.

I used to have this. I put a sponge on the outlet where the water flows down. That way it doesn't drop onto the water it just flows through the sponge. Works great.

Most filters have a few adjustment lever near the motor.  Look for it and try adjusting it.   If that doesn't work you can restrict the flow of water in or out of the filter.  You can use a thicker sponge on the intake to reduce flow or pack more denser filter media into the filter body to restrict water flow.  However if you restrict water intake flow too much the pump might start cavitating which will make it noisy.  The other way to reduce flow is to restrict the flow out of a filter by reducing the output hose size or putting a valve on the output.  This will reduce the flow without making the motor noisy.  You could also use sponge or piece of plastic inside the output pipe to reduce the flow.

Thanks for the help guys! I couldn't find an adjustment lever, so I went with the sponge method. I literally don't have any plastic bottles around.. But it seems to work!

Most reactions

Back