How to measure the water quality in fish tank?

So perhaps I should go for 7.5 that way it is a bit of both. I was told when i took my water in I needed to icnrease the pH of the water so I got some pH solution that increases it.
Well no. Like I said. Having species from hard and soft water isn't advised. They will slowly die and it could be painfully depending on the condition of your water...
The PH stuff they sell you can actually be lethal (sometimes). There are natural ways of raising and lowering PH/GH without chems.

You can often find your water hardness online. If you do, report value and the measurement units.
This is the results for my area, but which are the important values?
1656632926142.png

Well no. Like I said. Having species from hard and soft water isn't advised. They will slowly die and it could be painfully depending on the condition of your water...
The PH stuff they sell you can actually be lethal (sometimes). There are natural ways of raising and lowering PH/GH without chems.
Ok, but I can;t get rid of the fish now, so I need to come up with a compromise.

This is the results for my area, but which are the important values?
View attachment 162228
Yes you have soft water it says... I would like to know the actual number but it says soft so for now we will go with that.
The mollys naturally live in hardwater with a high PH. They will die off earlier then what they should be able to live.

Ok, but I can;t get rid of the fish now, so I need to come up with a compromise.
Yes. So you can sell them back to your Local Fish Store or you can get a separate tank and alter the water chemistry which can be tricky and you have to do it every water change.

The fish will live. Ideally you may rehome some, as those not suitable for this water may not live a full, thriving life. Other than that, you'll find that most people will recommend against using chemicals to "manipulate" water values because for one it's not natural and you and your fish become dependent on external factors that just add to the chores of the hobby, and secondly (at least in my limited experience) has no long term effect and it becomes part of your routine and an additional expense. Again, in my limited experience, plants do help to keep water pH down, especially now that I found out that during the summer months the local water company rises TREMENDOUSLY the pH on the water. I'm talking going from around 7 to over 8 or 9. My not so heavily planted tank keeps the water "softer" than the other 2 where I don't have as many plants.
Going back to your questions, you need to know the water parameters in your tank. Knowing what the water company delivers to your home is a good starting point, but that changes in your tank

I wouldn’t worry about ph as long as it’s stable the gh is another thing , I personally cannot tell from the chart if your water is hard or soft , water company’s will say middling water is hard because the drink value and the living value is different . As long as your nh3 no3 and no2 are as Close zero as possible you have ample amount of time to rearrange your stocking

I wouldn’t worry about ph as long as it’s stable the gh is another thing , I personally cannot tell from the chart if your water is hard or soft , water company’s will say middling water is hard because the drink value and the living value is different . As long as your nh3 no3 and no2 are as Close zero as possible you have ample amount of time to rearrange your stocking
Yah. The GH is really important. The PH is fine as long as it is stable and isn't swinging everywhere. But yes, the GH is very important.

Yah. The GH is really important. The PH is fine as long as it is stable and isn't swinging everywhere. But yes, the GH is very important.
Issues I have with GH is its an average , you read on requirements of South American fish and almost all will say they like soft water and yeah the South American river systems are predominantly soft but all river mouths are super hard and brackish do these fish feel the difference so they know to stay away from these areas ? I don’t know . I always try to follow what information I can find but sometimes it makes no sense , guppy’s for example you can information saying they are soft water fish and then information they are hardwater fish , I think personally most fish will do well in middling water

ok, I bought the API master test kit, so tomorrow I should be able to test the values.

Issues I have with GH is its an average , you read on requirements of South American fish and almost all will say they like soft water and yeah the South American river systems are predominantly soft but all river mouths are super hard and brackish do these fish feel the difference so they know to stay away from these areas ? I don’t know . I always try to follow what information I can find but sometimes it makes no sense , guppy’s for example you can information saying they are soft water fish and then information they are hardwater fish , I think personally most fish will do well in middling water
Most fish but not all.
Mollys are just over the middle really so they do need harder water I believe.

I didn't cycle the tank. I had another much smaller tank which I had for a bit longer so I just mvoed a lot of the water from the old tank into the new tank.

I have stocked the tank already.

I will purchase the API master test kit so I can measure the values in the tank.
Going back to your original question: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are what's most important to have a firm grip on. And, how long have you had this tank and the fish in it?

ok, I bought the API master test kit, so tomorrow I should be able to test the values.
Anytime Ammonia or Nitrite is > zero (0) ppm, do a 50-80% WC. Check daily until both of these stay at zero. Feed minimally until then, you can skip days, your fish won't starve to death but ammonia and/or nitrite will either kill them directly or cause stress induced diseases that will.

The table in post #17 gives the hardness - 5.18 degrees Clarke. This unit is not used in fish keeping, but it is in the calculator on here, and it converts to 4.1 dH and 74 ppm. This is soft water, verging on very soft. (Ignore what water companies say for hardness, they always make it sound harder than we as fish keepers we call the numbers)
Mollies will not do well in this water, they are likely to develop a condition called the shimmies. Ideally mollies need a GH around 250 ppm or higher. They are also big fish and a 60 litre tank is a bit on the small side for them.

Most reactions

Back