How To Explain To The Layman Why Interchanging Fish And (human) Food U

Maroonostrich

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was lugging a glass jug to and from work to make up some packeted pasta meals with the appropriate amount of milk and water, well the inevitable happened and it broke.

My dad commented that I should use a plastic jug instead. Good idea, I agreed, can you get me one?
Not till tomorrow night, he said. I made resigned grumbles about my dinner... at which point he said...

Well why don't you take the plastic jug you use for cleaning out the fish tank and use that instead...?
:sick:

I reacted with horror and commented what a foul idea it was...

Don't be ridiculous, he said, you can WASH it!!

I would NEVER do this myself, but what I found difficult to explain was why it was not a good idea to do such a thing, however strongly I believe it...

Can anyone else summarise why fish utensils are not interchangable as human food utensils?

This is why we dont....

comp-1.jpg

See my dad would just say, if you wash it, it's clean! But it's not that easy is it...

Maybe I'm conservative in my culinary habits, but fish poo pasta just doesn't appeal. :no:

I second the motion. ( ha ha get it..... motion...poo) sigh -_- :huh:

I will get my coat..............

Eh, maybe I'm weird, but as long as I washed and scrubbed it thoroughly with hot water, I would use it.
I use spoons to fix my fish blood worms, brine shrimp, etc, and I just wash them with the rest of the dishes and then use them with my food. It's no big deal.

You're overreacting :p

:lol: I do it all the time :hey:
this is with glass and stainless steel spoons only though. Not plastic, as I think it can absorb certain things.
Spoons I rinse under tap and then use to defrost bloodworm on or scoop a load of life bloodworm and feed from spoon to tank.
Or glass jars I use as temporary homes when doing 100% water changes on small fry tank. Even use a gravy boat now and again :fun:
Stick it in the dishwasher afterwards to nuke whatever needs to be nuked. And before using for fish, give a good rinse under tap.

And bob's your uncle B) (shock horror!)

... I'd use them too. Just like I wash knives after using them on raw sausage and re-use them and don't get food poisoning. So long as tehy're washed clean, whats the problem?

The deal might be if washing up liquid ends up going back in the tank. Though I have to admit I do use kitchen spoons to measure out things like aquarium salt (when medicating); I just make sure to give them an extra good rinse in hot water- for the fish's sake, not for mine.

Heh, i don't have a problem with using things like jugs and spoons used for dealing with fish stuff for my own use as long as they are thoroughly washed, as dwarfqourami said though i would be concerned about cleaning chemicals entering the tank, which is the main reason why i keep all my fish stuff separate from human stuff.

I live with fish all around me, and use whatever comes to hand when I need something to use for them. I've even used a colander to net a fish once. :X

One time we had the question arise about dish detergent and I called one of the manufacturers. They told me that while they made no guarantees that their product was safe for use with fish, it did have a "quick rinse" formula. Humans don't like chemical residue on their eating utensils either, so it is made to be removed under a normal rinse. :D

I live with fish all around me, and use whatever comes to hand when I need something to use for them. I've even used a colander to net a fish once. :X

:rofl: Next time I'll remember that when I'm in a pinch! and I'll keep my next betta in a wok. :p

Most reactions

Back