How to do water changes WITH fry in the tank and refill

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I was wondeeing how to go about doing water changes in my aquarium while there are tiny babies... But then the part I'm worried about the most is refilling the tank... How do I do that without forcing all the little fry to go into a strong current??? I really don't want them to die on me...

Fill the tank slowly, and direct the water output from your Python toward a glass wall of the tank

Use jugs or bottles to pour the water at your pace instead of at the hose pace.

I use bottled water anyway but I control the flow completely, there are never any tidal waves when refilling....and I use a large jug for removing water with a net to catch any wrigglers who have any sense of adventure outside home

Fill the tank slowly, and direct the water output from your Python toward a glass wall of the tank
I do not have the python water changer at the moment but I wish I did...
Use jugs or bottles to pour the water at your pace instead of at the hose pace.

I use bottled water anyway but I control the flow completely, there are never any tidal waves when refilling....and I use a large jug for removing water with a net to catch any wrigglers who have any sense of adventure outside home
Yah I will just use a bucket and slowly fill the tank up with it... I should get a water diffuser on Etsy. They make the water come out really smooth

Thank you for your help!!

Save those pennies, you'll be glad you did...;)
I know I know... But I have a lot of other things to get as well like a heater for the QT tank and more plants for the main tank... Ever since I started the tank, I always happen to have less than $20. At the moment I have like $2-3. So I'm a broke teen 😐😔... Maybe I can see if the car needs cleaning. That always gets me somewhere lol

Save your money, nick your mum's colander!
That is a great idea but we clean it with soap and I dont want to risk contaminating the tank...

Start haunting garage sales for used equipment. Ask your LFS if they have old stuff they're not using and either want to get rid of or sell cheap. Make some of your own stuff. Learning ways to do things on the cheap and learning to do without lets you concentrate on the fish. One thing I do with refilling fry tanks is pour the water back in through a net to diffuse the flow. I have a brine shrimp net that is very fine mesh but you could do just as well by putting a couple layers of cheese cloth inside a regular net .

I know I know... But I have a lot of other things to get as well like a heater for the QT tank and more plants for the main tank... Ever since I started the tank, I always happen to have less than $20. At the moment I have like $2-3. So I'm a broke teen 😐😔... Maybe I can see if the car needs cleaning. That always gets me somewhere lol
Wash the car, mow the lawn, any odd job you can do around the house to earn a little extra $

I started mowing our lawn at age 10, to earn money for RC airplanes, I was big into those as a kid...and by the time I was old enough to get a learner's permit, I had saved enough to buy a used car ;)

Start haunting garage sales for used equipment. Ask your LFS if they have old stuff they're not using and either want to get rid of or sell cheap. Make some of your own stuff. Learning ways to do things on the cheap and learning to do without lets you concentrate on the fish. One thing I do with refilling fry tanks is pour the water back in through a net to diffuse the flow. I have a brine shrimp net that is very fine mesh but you could do just as well by putting a couple layers of cheese cloth inside a regular net .
Thats a good idea! I will try to find garage sales and ask my LPS if they got old stuff to sell cheap. But I don't know how to ask them without sounding weird lol. And I cant do that net thing cause of the bucket I use... I need two hands to pour it so I can't hold the net 😒

Wash the car, mow the lawn, any odd job you can do around the house to earn a little extra $

I started mowing our lawn at age 10, to earn money for RC airplanes, I was big into those as a kid...and by the time I was old enough to get a learner's permit, I had saved enough to buy a used car ;)
Wow! That's amazing!

Most reactions

Back