How To Do Photos

darryl864

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Photos

There have been lots of posts of people asking how to post photos so I thought I would share my knowledge to help out.

Posting
To post photos onto this site you must first make your photos available to the word wide web. What this means is placing your photos somewhere that is connected to the internet. Now some people seem to think that this means having to sign up to a photo hosting site and adding the photos there. However I have seen some posts where photos have no longer available for one reason or another. However nearly all of you have your own place where you can host photos for free.

Nearly all of us sign up to an Internet Service Provider (ISP) which usually provide some sort of webspace with your account. Now I will be unable to go into the details of how each of you will do this as each will be different. The main things you will need is the ftp (File Transfer Protocol) address and your login credentials. You then need to type this into the address bit of Windows explorer (assuming you are using Windows). You will then be prompted to enter your username and password. Once you are connected all you need to do is copy and paste photos to the right folder and then they will be available to the word wide web. You will also need to find out the web address of your ISP webspace to view the photos. You can test this by typing this address into your web browser (Internet explorer or Firefox etc...)

To add your photos to your post click on the photo button (7th button along at time of writing starting at the b for bold). Next copy and paste the address you have already used in your web browser and click on OK. Always preview your photo before posting.

Shrinking Large Images
A lot of people nowadays have very fancy digital Cameras that have multiple megapixles however this means that you have very large photos that will quickly use up you allotted webspace. Most people also believe that you need some sort of complicated/expensive software to resize images. This is not so and all Windows users have a too that comes with the Operating System. Believe it or not its called Paint Found by clicking on Start->All Programmes->Accessories. I'm hoping all you will know how to open your desired photo so lets get to the resizing bit. Click on Image->Stretch/Skew... in the stretch area change the Horizontal and Vertical percentages to 50%. Hey presto you have cut the size your large image in half. Really large photos may require 70-80% reduction in which case you would type 30-20% in these boxes. Don't worry if its not right first time as you can either undo the action or keep on reducing it.

Cropping Your Photo
You can also cut your image to size in paint too by clicking and dragging on the small blue square in the bottom right corner of your photo. Now this will only allow you to cut bits off the right and the bottom but if you turn the photo around you can then crop it to any size you want. You do this by clicking on Image->Flip/Rotate, select rotate by angle and select 180[sup]O[/sup]. When you have cut off what you want do this again to get it back the right way around. Click on File-Save As... to save this new smaller image as a copy (so you don't destroy the original). Give it a proper name ad copy it over to your webspace.

I hope this helps the few that are needing help with photos and I hope to see more posts with photos. If you need any help ask in this post and I will try to help out.

Darryl

Very good, one thing I would add. If you merely want to make a picture small enough to post or email, just use the Microsoft Image Resizer HERE

Download and install, then just right click on the picture(s) and select "Resize" then choose Small, Medium or Large and the pic is automatically resized and even the large is 1024 * 768 but small enough to post with no problems on here or by email.

Arfie

This is already pretty much explained in the pinned topics of the members aquarium and fish pics section.

Oh yes I see this has already been done sorry for that. For any newbies that may have missed this the links are as follows.
[topic="114969"]How-And-Why-To-Resize-Pictures-Using-Ms-Paint[/topic]
[topic="1680"]How-To-Upload-Pictures[/topic]
[topic="19038"]Taking-Great-Fish-Photos-How-To[/topic]

Darryl

Most reactions

Back