How To Clean An Hp Tank

sic0198

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making my tank heavily planted. Typically I clean it by sticking my siphon in the gravel to suck up the yucky stuff. In a heavily planted tank should I pull up each plant and gravel vac around it or would just vacuuming around the plant be enough?

Anyone know any other methods?

I wouldnt pull plants up (well from my limited experience) as dont think it is good to keep disturbing plants once they have rooted.

Best is to gravel vac around and replant the odd ones that havent rooted deeply enough if get slightly caught.

One little bit of advice, whatever fish you put in there ensure you dont want them out again in a hurry :lol: it is a nightmare with lots of heavy foliage in the way to get fish out.

As long as you get the siphon into gaps, you will be fine. Best of luck planted tanks are stunning.

There should be no need to vac in a planted tank, if the circulation and filtration is up to scratch, then there won't be anything to remove.

There should be no need to vac in a planted tank, if the circulation and filtration is up to scratch, then there won't be anything to remove.

All I have to do is water changes?

Yes, 50% weekly or 50% twice weekly for the first few months, that will keep any traces of ammonia down and will reduce the risk of algae.

If you give the gravel vac a rest around the base of plants and just suck up the surface dirt that you can get at easily, the plants will take care of using the nutrients from the detritus that falls into the substrate. One of the less popular but viable options for a heavily planted tank is called a Naturally Planted Tank, NPT. Diana Walstad is one of the promoters of the method, she suggests using the fish food to feed your fish and ultimately your plants. The idea is that you don't need any of the fancy fertilizers if you add in enough fish food that can decay into plant food and no added CO2 or other artificial ferts are needed. She does recommend that you start with a dirt or planting soil substrate with a final gravel cover to keep from having the dirt floating around in the water column. She does expect rather high lighting to be used even without the ferts and CO2 that the high tech people use. 50% weekly water changes are a very important component of what is known as the EI method, because the method relies on grossly overfeeding plants and then resetting the tank chemistry once a week by doing that huge water change, before adding in way too many chemicals again. The EI method has tons of adherents that hang out in our planted tanks area if you want to go that way. The Walstad approach, and it is one that I use, advocates a 50% water change about every 6 months to replenish the trace elements that come from tap water and that the plants need for good growth. This is a picture of my longest running NPT and as you can see it has significant plant growth in it. It is a 40 gallon breeder that has a 104 watt CF fixture over it, yep 2.5 wpg, and has had no artificial ferts or CO2 added for over 2 years. It gets a water change every 6 months or so whether it needs it or not. Algae in that tank is non-existent.
XenotaeniaCrop.jpg

If you give the gravel vac a rest around the base of plants and just suck up the surface dirt that you can get at easily, the plants will take care of using the nutrients from the detritus that falls into the substrate. One of the less popular but viable options for a heavily planted tank is called a Naturally Planted Tank, NPT. Diana Walstad is one of the promoters of the method, she suggests using the fish food to feed your fish and ultimately your plants. The idea is that you don't need any of the fancy fertilizers if you add in enough fish food that can decay into plant food and no added CO2 or other artificial ferts are needed. She does recommend that you start with a dirt or planting soil substrate with a final gravel cover to keep from having the dirt floating around in the water column. She does expect rather high lighting to be used even without the ferts and CO2 that the high tech people use. 50% weekly water changes are a very important component of what is known as the EI method, because the method relies on grossly overfeeding plants and then resetting the tank chemistry once a week by doing that huge water change, before adding in way too many chemicals again. The EI method has tons of adherents that hang out in our planted tanks area if you want to go that way. The Walstad approach, and it is one that I use, advocates a 50% water change about every 6 months to replenish the trace elements that come from tap water and that the plants need for good growth. This is a picture of my longest running NPT and as you can see it has significant plant growth in it. It is a 40 gallon breeder that has a 104 watt CF fixture over it, yep 2.5 wpg, and has had no artificial ferts or CO2 added for over 2 years. It gets a water change every 6 months or so whether it needs it or not. Algae in that tank is non-existent.
XenotaeniaCrop.jpg

What plants do you have in that tank? That looks really good.

Most reactions

Back