How To Clean Algae Of Plastic Plants

matrix

Reaction score
Hi all

I have alot of plastic plants in my Rio 180 tank with algae on them and i was wondering whats the best method for cleaning them. I've tried rubbing them clean with a dish cloth when i do a water change but i still can't seem to get them that clean.
Is there anything i can leave them into soak over a hour or so that would help them to get clean?.

Thank you

im not sure if you can soak them in a mixture of bleach and water for a while then soak in a heavily dechlorinated water..thats how i clean my diffuser when i gets dirty..im sure someone else will chime in though.remember if you try this to soak it in overly dechlorinated water..

A great, less toxic, way to do it is to wash the plants in Milton sterilising solution (normally used for baby bottles). Then rinse in tapwater.

It is gentle enough not to worry about any residues, but kills the algae off and leaves the plants looking like new without fading them at all.

Mothercare etc always have it in stock. Just follow the instructions on the packet :)

Thanks for your replies and tips people. I can't believe you can bleach :eek: but this might be the only thing that gets my plants clean.

Thanks for your replies and tips people. I can't believe you can bleach :eek: but this might be the only thing that gets my plants clean.

BTW, the dilution ratio is around 1:20 for live plants. You will find the algae turns grey, then whitish. At this point it will readily come off if you rub it. Even if its left on the plants, it will fall off over the next couple of days.

"BTW, the dilution ratio is around 1:20 "

1:20 what? sorry just don't understand what the ratio is to?

Thanks.

1 part bleach to 20 parts water. So 10ml bleach would be added to 200ml water. Thats if you're 'bleaching' live plants anyway. You could prob get away with much higher on plastic plants.

Sam

Thank you for the info yeah there all plastic plants i have.

Thank you for the info yeah there all plastic plants i have.

Looks like Themuleous has answered your question. :) One word of caution - dont use a strong solution of bleach as its corrosive and would end up wrecking your plastic plants.

Thanks for the advice i'm sure i can find some cheap blech that won't be to strong :)

Thanks for all your replies and time.

Most reactions

Back