How Much Lr I Need?

lastduke

Reaction score
After a nice talk with LFS sales, I am persuaded to buy 14 lbs LR and put them in my 20 G FO tank today.
The ammonia even lower than noon. The water is changed from cloudy to super clear, that's soooo amazing. I did not realize the LF has a such efficient filtration capability.
Because the most LF i picked today have more small holes in there, the rocks are not as heavy as they look. So 14 lbs is a big pile in 20 G tank.

Do I need to buy more to make it at least 1 lb/gallon????

Thank you for your any advice here.

Here is the pic. I am going to put the corals in when I finish my tons of reading.
What you think about the amount of the LF. I don't care about the outlooking, actually, I think less LF more space for the fishs:p. If the 14 lbs are enough for 20G filteration system, I will not buy more.

Attachments

• ppp_002.jpg
    ppp_002.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 41
I think the amount actually looks quite good, though the general rule of thumb is 1.5 pounds per gallon.

if i put less than that, will the filteration not work well? from the picture, the rocks have occupied the 1/3 space of the tank.

Probably. I imagine the 1.5 pounds per gallon is a bit like the GPH on a filter, the more you need per gallons. You'll also probably want more space for corals, if you're getting them.

Sorry, I did not follow you.....do you mean I do need to put more or i need to leave some space for coming corals

i rekon you could do with 2 tall pieces of rock in the corner, almost like pillars, thi will open up a lot of opportunities if you go the coral route.

Is that US or UK gallons

If it's UK you should aim for 10kilos

Take into account that if you intend to add corals they oftem come attached to live rock

Also I'd get rid of the Humbug Damsel it will cause you problems later

What amount of circulation have you got?

Minimum should be 1kg of live rock to 10 liters water. What do you intend to keep?

Uhm, just wondering but....why does the tank look yellow? Are you using incandecent?

It is 20 US gallon tank. with 14 pounds LR already. What you said, taking into account the corals attaching. Do you mean the part(LR) which is covered by the corals will not make the contribution to the cycling?

For the damsel, i want to sent them back LFS too, but my wife doesn't want that happen:p

My system is pretty simple now, a AquaClear 150/30 powerhead is the only hardware I have. I am researching and looking for the lighting system for the coming corals.

Thank you so much for your any help to all of the people who replied my post.

Is that US or UK gallons

If it's UK you should aim for 10kilos

Take into account that if you intend to add corals they oftem come attached to live rock

Also I'd get rid of the Humbug Damsel it will cause you problems later

What amount of circulation have you got?

Uhm, just wondering but....why does the tank look yellow? Are you using incandecent?

That's because of the camera setting, I forgot change the white balance mode to night shot mode:p
anyway, the water and rocks look a little brown because of the algae.
Three Nass**** nails hided in the sand right after i put them in the tank, they are such lazy ass!!!

thats what they do, they dont clean glass, they eat left over food and crap in the sand

Many fluorescents are yellow too :). You have good aquascaping but i think you should have more rock asthetically.... Not sure about space and filtration though.

Most reactions

Back