How Much Harder Are Discus To Look After Than Guppies

em 11

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
how much harder are discus to look after than guppies

yes i only been in the hobby not long
im looking to move from guppies to something better
any1 got any ideas

what size is your tank...what are you looking for. Small shoalers, larger fish, Bright colors, or unique body shapes, etc...

i think big fish :)
i have a 23 gallon UK ( do not think i can fit any big fish in there )
i have seen a 60 gallon :hyper: i might get that
any ideas :)

Well you've probably already been told this but your common pleco will need to be rehomed. Gourami's, danios/tetras, and cories might be a good place to start. Try searching for +favorite +fish. Or similair. another good idea would be to go into the fish index and scan through looking at pics and picking what you like the look of. Of course more research will be required later but right now your just developing your taste in fish. Oh you should also look at the tanks in the members aquarium and fish pictures forum.

yea, going from guppies to discus is like going from cats to elephants, their a little harder to care for. :D

the larger fish that come to mind for a 23g are gouramis, but im sure there are quite a few hardy cichlid species that would do just fine as well. good luck :thumbs:

yes lots of people said that to me :( i was wanting to get a 60 gallon so i can keep him

can i keep parrot fish in a 60 g

You should do some reading in the hybrid fish forum before you decide on parrots. I'm not sure about parrots cause I think they get pretty big but I know jellybean parrots stay smaller so they should work. Also look into dyeing fish because parrots are often dyed different colors.

i have had parrot fish before :wub: :wub: i loved them yep they grew very big :crazy: :X :S

You could keep at least one parrot in a 60g, possibly a pair :)

The short answer is "it depends". Wild-caught discus are several orders of magnitude more difficult to keep than any standard community tropical fish. They need soft, acid water that is warm and spotlessly clean. They are fussy about diet, and often get imported with interesting parasites that need dealing with.

Tank-bred discus are not that difficult. They're are more difficult than, say, generic angelfish. But they aren't impossibly difficult to keep for someone who has a year or two experience. They aren't so fussy about water chemistry and happily eat prepared foods. Water temperature needs to be high (common mistake is to keep them too cold) and water changes must be generous to keep the nitrate nice and low. But beyond that, they're not all that hard to look after. Certainly no worse that Tanganyikan cichlids or Apistogramma.

Guppies are not all that easy to care for anymore. Wild guppies are still very hardy, as are "feeder" guppies (crossbreed fancy guppies that approximate to wild guppies in most regards). Fancy guppies range from moderately hardy through to delicate, depending on how inbred they are. But even the best fancy guppies are significantly more delicate than generic angelfish, bronze catfish or zebra danios.

Cheers, Neale

how much harder are discus to look after than guppies

If you perform regular water changes, feed high quality food and keep the water parameters constant the only bit you need to worry about is having a large tank.

I have just bought a 100 Gallon to replace my 60 G for the discus. They are lovely fish, i would not recommend them yet just because once you have them the work involved can be a little overwhelming.

Try out with something a little easier to begin with, buy a few books on discus care and browse a good few forums about discus.

Chris

Most reactions

Back