How Mnay Fish An I Get In A 75 Us Gal

What about a type of larger wrasse?

Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

Just one example...there are some really pretty wrasses out there. I have a sixline, but I think you're looking for a little bit bigger fish.

There are numerous "rules" regarding Tangs and tanks sizes; nearly all are false. As long as the fish has plenty of swimming area, is fed good food, provided with the proper environment, and kept with no offending fish, anything of at least 75 gallons is acceptable for most Tangs up to 12''. I have even read about an aquarist who kept (even I'm not nuts (or cruel?) enough to try this) an unspecified Naso Tang (probably N. lituratus) and a Platax orbicularis together in a 55 gallon tank. The Naso lived for 13 years and the Batfish lived for 11 (or the other way around; can't quite remember).

Contrary to popular belief, Tangs will not get "ich" (Cryptocarion irritans) or Amyloodinium when kept in too small of a tank. Back in "the olden days" it was very common for Regals to be kept in 33 gallon tanks. I actually bought my Yellow Tang from a pet store that allegedly kept it in a 25 gallon tank for many months. He was thin from underfeeding, but had no diseases and was very responsive. At the time I purchased that Yellow, a 1.5'' Regal was also in the 25 gallon tank; he was also disease free.

Zebrasoma Tangs are actually rather slow-moving most of the time, and so are quite suitable for 75 gallon+ tanks. The same cannot be said for Naso Tangs who even I think that they should be kept in nothing less than 125 gallon tanks. Acanthurus and Paracanthurus fall somewhere in the middle, Prionurus are on the same level as Naso, and Ctenochaetus are on the lower end of space needs. One must remember that most fishes are highly adaptable, and can thrive happily in much less space than they would get in the wild. In real life, a couple gallons won't make much of a difference.

-Lynden

thanks for the advice

like i said, how would you like to be locked up in a 12ft X12ft cell? even prisoners get let out in the yard to stretch their legs. i think more people need to get some kind of concience when it comes to buying livestock. when i first bought a marine tank i wasn't aware that most of the fishe were wild caught, had i been there is no way i would have 1.

i would much prefer to buy tank bred if possible and i agree with what your saying bcuz yeh it iz a bit cruel to take dem from da wild n stik em n a small tank :nod:

also im not a big fan of wrasse's so i doubt il get 1 but thanks anyway for the advice :good:

lyden you made a very good comment- so what ur saying is it could probaly be happy in a 75 gal if it has enough space i can give u the tank dimensions just to make sure but still like rysisboy said this is a very debatable topic
plz still give advice about this as i am in 2 minds :huh:

(4ft x 2ft x 18â€￾ Aquarium 340 liters capacity )

also i prefer the flame angel than the coral beauty so il stick with the flame :D

i neva relaised choosing marine fish is so hard lol :hyper:

also can i just add that when i added that statement i wasnt saying anything about the fact that it is okay to put a rgal in a 55gallon but IMO its more to do with tank dimensions (within reason) than the gallonage

at the end of the day its up to you, that is just my personal opinion regarding tangs. also you would be very hard pressed to find a tank bred tang, never heard of anyone breeding them with any sucsess (sp)

ive changed my fish list again

1blue line tang
1salfin tang
1flame angel
2percula clown
3green chromis--manily to cycle tank but still very nice as they group together

ive chose these 2 tangs as they are smaller than the others and that there min a 70 gal

are these ok?-all fish

and my tank has arrvied :yahoo: :yahoo:

3green chromis--manily to cycle tank but still very nice as they group together

Hi,

You don't need to and shouldn't cycle a marine tank with livestock.

You need to get the recommended amount of LR in there and then monitor the water params until they are spot on, then you can add you CUC if you're having one, then slowly add your fish.

There are plenty of topics on here about adding LR, and cycling the tank.

In theory if the LR is fully cured it shouldn't need cycling, but if you have any die off from the transportation of the LR, or its not fully cured, this will cycle the tank, without putting any fish under undue stress.

thanks for that i will be reading the topics in a bit also i will still be getting the green chromis as they are quite cool

can someone say if the fish i listed are ok in my tank and together

cheers

Your list is acceptable. If the Sailfin decides to max out at 15'' rather than the usual 10-12'', you may have to upgrade.

Also, make sure to not cycle the tank with fish.

-Lynden

thanks for that

im xicited now :hyper:

i am not going to cycle the tank with fish i got it suggested but i and everybody agree no fish to cycle

i am popping down the shop 2moz to get ro water anybody had exerpinece with ro water ?

also i probaly will ask a few questions about how to setuup the tank but that will be 2moz :D

and how big timescale for seting up i got told add ro water sand liverock
leave it a week
add clean up crew(invertebrates) and corals
leave it 2 weeks
add 1-2 fish a time every other week

cheers

RO water is generally considered essential for a salt tank. Your checklist for set up seems good, but do not add the corals until the tank has been set up for at least a month.

thanks for that

im xicited now :hyper:

i am not going to cycle the tank with fish i got it suggested but i and everybody agree no fish to cycle

i am popping down the shop 2moz to get ro water anybody had exerpinece with ro water ?

also i probaly will ask a few questions about how to setuup the tank but that will be 2moz :D

and how big timescale for seting up i got told add ro water sand liverock
leave it a week
add clean up crew(invertebrates) and corals
leave it 2 weeks
add 1-2 fish a time every other week

cheers

Your order should be:-

Add RO water and salt to the correct salinity and temperature
Add LR, sand etc.
Monitor levels, when ammonia/nitrite are a constant 0 and nitrates are low <20ppm (this took me 5 or 6 weeks),
Then you can add CUC
Then fish, 1 or 2 at a time, always monitoring levels
Then later corals

Have you got the necessary test kits, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, pH, phosphate and a hydrometer/refractometer?

yes i have got the test kits and the live rock has already been cured at the shop and the sand has been used b4 so would this bring the 5-6 weeks down to around 2-3 weeks? maybe?

thanks about the advice for corals

Most reactions

Back