How many of your fish have jumped?

Number of your fish that have Jumped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-3

• Total voters
I'm only counting the ones that jumped and died. I've had a few jump(mostly oscars during feeding time) but they've wound up back in the tank.

As far as someone making a hood comment that doesn't always do it. Fish always find ways to get into trouble. Just the other day I found a Otto with his face stuck in the air jet tube of my powerhead.

I remember when i 1st started and i had a comunity tank.
i lost a flying fox, i striped the tank down, looked under all the rocks, thinking it was dead, it was found it behind the cabinet dryed up.
it had managed to jump though a 50mm hole in the cover glass and the same again in the back of the hood?????

When moving a scissor tail to a larger tank he stopped halfway and jumped for the puddle of cider in the glass from the night before! I think he enjoyed it :D

Dan

My original Mogurnda gudgeon, and my ropefish died from jumping, My peacock eel jumped, but I was there to save him (I wish that were so for my other 2 jumpers :sad: ).

I voted 4-6 because I think I have had some jumpers over the past 7 or 8 years, but I don't remember them :/

This Giraffe Catfish jumped out of my tank about four weeks ago. My wife put a ph probe in the water as usual. This time he came up to feed, scared himself and lept out the tank. he landed back under the hood on top of to glass plates and proceeded to slide down inside the hood smashing the lights as he went. POOR CHAP CUT HIMSELF TO RIBBONS. He is about seven years old now and nearly two foot long from nose to tale. There was water every where. We were still shaking an hour later. Luckily he has made a full recovery. First time he ever did that
0-picture.jpg

Chris

None, because I'm smart and have LIDS on my tanks (isn't that just an amazing concept?!?!), and I cover any open gaps. :p

Ive have no jumpers yet thankfully, can anyone tell me why they do it? I mean is it something they do in the wild or only in captivity?

four small goldfish due to a pump output on a shelf in the pond. The fifth one didn't play in it and the big ones didn't get enough extra propulsion from it. Imagine going outside and seeing a stack of goldies lol.

Two koi. One by stupidity trying to overwinter babies indoors the other who knows. I've had a few flip out of the net on me before but no real damage was done. We had one you could put in a covered bucket and he'd just bounce his head off the lid it was kind of disturbing.

My first marbled goby. Mojave jumped too but he landed in a bag of damp filter media top of tank has been netted since.

A goby that I'm not even sure what it was that got through the net on the tank. Fish dry out quick here in the desert even indoors unfortunately.

My sixline wrasse is the only jumper I have had and thats just because I can't get a hood on that tank as the heat from the lighting would boil the water.

Jon

canarsie11 said:
bloozoo2 said:
Uhm, where is the option for zero ????
"None" :blink:
I'm pretty sure the poll was amended afterwards.....
That's why there are only 5 people (so far) who have voted with "no jumpers" but loads more have reported "no jumpers" in this thread ;)

I've found that even though i have a well covering hood on my tank my fish still manage to jump - two of my swordtails have jumped but I caught them, a leopard catfish jumped in the night and didn't survive - it was still alive in the morning but dried (cos it was a catfish it just survived to see the sunrise) but we put it in the tank and it died anyway, and then about 2 weeks later my khuli loach jumped, and that definitely didn't survive.

This is with a perfectly well fitting hood and the only gap is a small one behind the filter housing.

none. my hood works. i dont get how any of your fish can jump through the hood.

I've had numerous jump into the breeding tank I have added onto the main tank!! The pregnant one's that are my regulars now seem to know they have to get in there so jump over from time to time. Harlequins are the best at it so far!! It's quite funny to watch!
R.I.P. All other suicidal fish though...hopefully none of mine will ever succeed in completely jumping overboard!!
xxx

Fishy411 said:
none. my hood works. i dont get how any of your fish can jump through the hood.
[snapback]863548[/snapback]​

Me neither but they did it - although with the swords it was when they were being cleaned.

With the bottom feeders my theory is they jumped into the filter casing to hide - its the darkest bit of the tank - but then jumped out of it again the wrong way.

Most reactions

Back