How Many Can I Have

basboi85

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm currently thinking of changing my whole stock from Molly's platy's to gourami's

I currently have a female blue spotted gourami and I loved the look of her when I acquired her from my neighbour

I don't just want the same coloured gourami as I like to see different colours in my tank for variation.

I know I can't have multiple males In my tank as it will be ww3 in there but I have no idea on the amount of females I can have.

I have a juwel rio 400 (450L / 118usg )
I have a filtration rate of 1400lph ( eheim 2213 & 2217) soon to add another 2217 to keep the tank that extra bit clean lol

My questions are how many gourami's can I have in my tank and can I have different gourami's or just the same breed ??

I'm currently thinking of changing my whole stock from Molly's platy's to gourami's

I currently have a female blue spotted gourami and I loved the look of her when I acquired her from my neighbour

I don't just want the same coloured gourami as I like to see different colours in my tank for variation.

I know I can't have multiple males In my tank as it will be ww3 in there but I have no idea on the amount of females I can have.

I have a filtration rate of 1400lph ( eheim 2213 & 2217) soon to add another 2217 to keep the tank that extra bit clean lol

My questions are how many gourami's can I have in my tank and can I have different gourami's or just the same breed ??

You can have as many females as you want your saying your tank is 118 gal? So then you can have a whole long of the blue gourami that you have I have 6 in my tank 1male 5 females 3 being gold and 3 being blue I love these guys they're so playful and yea you can also have a variation of gourami but keeping it to a 1male 2female ratio you just can't get the giant gourami but other then that you should be good

Try not to get the kissing gourami, they take the Mucus off other fishies which in turn will die. And stay away from the paradise fish/ gourami they are extremely Territorial

There are a few colour morphs of the three-spot gourami (eg gold and blue as jacabs said), and you can have a male and several females of any or all of the colour morphs. That would give you different coloured fish all of the same species. Three-spots come in blue-grey, gold, opaline, marbled, silver and a form called cosby, though I've only seen the first three in my local shops.

Cool thanks for the replies and ill stay clear o the above mentioned as I want to keep a peaceful tank as it will helpe to relax.

I'm thinking of possibly having maximum 10 gourami's in my tank.

Saying you've never seen a silver gourami my neighbour who I got my blue spotted off has a silver one so I might see where he got his from as he's not long got them as he bought a new internal and didn't move the media over an killed all fish but some guppies he got off me

The blue spotted I have her colour is almost baby blue colour and I'm always seeing her strolling and zipping around my tank and she's hooked me straight into gourami's

Ill defo have a look round my 3 lfs to see what they have to offer.

I'm desperately trying to persuade the wife to let me get another rio 400 so I can have a all female betta tank and a all gourami tank and I'm falling on deaf ears ATM lol

Many thanks to all your replies.

Chris

I keep a pair of Pearls with a female Opaline Gourami, which is what you have I believe by the way you describe it. I also have a female Paradise Fish in there that's fairly young and quite aggressive for her size. The female Paradise has only been in the tank with them for a few weeks so I wouldn't necessarily recommend the mix just yet.

In a tank that size you could easily do a male with 4 females of any of the Three Spot color varieties including Gold, Blue, Opaline, Platinum or Lavender. The last two are a bit rarer to find although I know a local place here that has the Platinums all the time.

These are all just color variations of the same fish. Pick out a nice male and get a multi color harem for him, you have plenty of room. If you do add a male Three Spot you shouldn't really add any Pearl Gouramis since they are less aggressive and likely to get picked on. IT works in my much smaller tank because there's no male Three Spot, the Opaline is a female just like the Paradise Fish.

Here's a pictures of the male Pearl G & the female Opaline G:

2012-10-03_17-11-40_40.jpg

.....and here's the Paradise Fish with the Opaline coming out behind her:

2012-10-11_20-57-00_842.jpg

Saying you've never seen a silver gourami my neighbour who I got my blue spotted off has a silver one so I might see where he got his from

Be careful, his silver one might be a moonlight gourami rather then a silver coloured three-spot. I would be wary of mixing two species, but maybe that's just me.
Just so you know, three-spots in all their colours are Trichogaster trichopterus while moonlights are Trichogaster microlepis. Ask the shop for the latin name if you do find one with silver gouramis. If they don't know, it should be written on their wholesaler's list.

Oh, and female dwarf gouramis are silver just to confuse things more, but they are smaller than the other two.

Most reactions

Back