How many API Bio Chem Stars?

jimwg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I use API Bio Chem Stars for my biological media. Originally I had all of my 141 stars in my AquaTop canister assuming API's claim that 1 star covers 5 gallI use API BioChem Stars ons of water. But I read in an article recently it's more like 1 star for 2 gallons meaning 150 stars would be required to cover 75 gallons (my tank size). So I purchased and ordered more stars just in case. I now how 159 stars in my canister.

Hello and :hi: to the Forum!! :fish:

I honestly wouldn't worry regarding how many stars (filter media) you have in your canister. As long as you have filter media for the beneficial bacteria to grow on you should be fine. I am not sure why there would be claims regarding how many gallons of water that one star can "cover". This seems silly to me, as there is no guarantee as to how much bacteria will colonize on one star. Is there sponge in your canister filter as well? Honestly, sponge is probably an even better filter media to have, and if you have this as well, you should be just fine. Bacteria will colonize almost any surface in your filter as well as in your tank. the bacteria are not going to just grow on the stars, so the number of starts is not really critical, as long as you have some filter media you are fine.

Hello and :hi: to the Forum!! :fish:

I honestly wouldn't worry regarding how many stars (filter media) you have in your canister. As long as you have filter media for the beneficial bacteria to grow on you should be fine. I am not sure why there would be claims regarding how many gallons of water that one star can "cover". This seems silly to me, as there is no guarantee as to how much bacteria will colonize on one star. Is there sponge in your canister filter as well? Honestly, sponge is probably an even better filter media to have, and if you have this as well, you should be just fine. Bacteria will colonize almost any surface in your filter as well as in your tank. the bacteria are not going to just grow on the stars, so the number of starts in not really critical, as long as you have some filter media you are fine.

You need to have enough filter media to cover the amount of water and livestock in your tank. Gravel and other such surface area providing things certainly count towards the bio-filter, but however you reach the necessary area it needs to be adequate for the tank. Yes I have pre-filter sponges on the intake of my canister filter mostly for mechanical filteration as no sponges don't have anywhere near the area for bacterial growth as such media as Bio Chem Stars.

You need to have enough filter media to cover the amount of water and livestock in your tank. Gravel and other such surface area providing things certainly count towards the bio-filter, but however you reach the necessary area it needs to be adequate for the tank. Yes I have pre-filter sponges on the intake of my canister filter mostly for mechanical filteration as no sponges don't have anywhere near the area for bacterial growth as such media as Bio Chem Stars.
I agree that you need to have enough filter media or surfaces to allow BB to thrive on and cover the amount of water in your tank. What I was trying to get at is that you shouldn't stress if you don't have the EXACT number of "stars" in your canister filter. As long as you have surfaces in your filter for BB to colonize you are fine. Actually your pre-filter sponges on your intake will be doing more than just providing mechanical filtration. They will provide a lot of surface area for BB to grow. Sponges are actually one of the best filter medias you can use for housing BB as all of the little pores and spaces in the sponge provides TONS of surface area for BB growth. I'm not saying that the stars wont provide surface area for the BB, I am just saying that your sponges will help as well.

I agree. Don't stress over not having enough "stars". Just make sure you have enough media for proper, beneficial bacteria to establish.

Most reactions

Back