How Long Should Nitrite Take To Show

Mark Thompson

Reaction score
Hi,

Just after some advice really.....

I have had my 320L tank set up for exactly 1 week now. I decided to try the fishless cycling technique using a product called Biomature (this is just fancy Ammonia really).

I have been adding the Biomature to my tank as stated on the instructions which after 1 week has left me with Ammonia levels at around 5ppm.

Now I realise that with a fishless cycle I am now waiting for the Ammonia munching bacterial to kick-in and turn some of this readily available foodsource into Nitrite. The thing is I am measuring no Nitrite at present which means the colony has not developed, can anyone tell me if this is normal and does it generally take this long for the Nitrite to become detectable?

I realise that once I have the Nitrite I have an even longer wait on my hands for the Nitrite eating bacteria to establish and reduce the level but I just wanted to know I was on-track so to speak.

Cheers
Mark

OK, I just checked my PH and it was off the scale (even on my high range card). The odd thing is that about 4 days ago it was at about 7.5 :blink:

Have just added a little PH Down to reduce it but does anyone know if this could be delaying the cycling or if it is just the high levels of Ammonia that make the PH high?

I think everyone has different experiences with how long a fishless cycle takes. Nitrite appears for me on the second day, but at low levels, around 0.25 and will reach 2.0 the next day. It holds steady there until it spikes.

I think everyone has different experiences with how long a fishless cycle takes. Nitrite appears for me on the second day, but at low levels, around 0.25 and will reach 2.0 the next day. It holds steady there until it spikes.

Well it's been a week for me now and still no Nitrate, I'm begining to think I am doing something wrong but can't think what!

i waited 2 weeks before i saw any nitrites... im now waiting for them to drop down to 0.

the high PH will be affected by the high ammonia levels in your water. Dont bother testing Ph during cycling as it will be all over the place.

this guys having a similar problem by the looks of things ;)

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=158707

A week without any progress does seem pretty strange. By then, I'm almost done with my cycles.

Perhaps your tank isn't aerated enough? Or maybe your filter has ammonia-removing media.

Most reactions

Back