How Long Can Fish Live Without Food?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Howard0

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a college student and we go on break Dec.13th and get back Jan 3rd. I bought a vacation feeder block that lasts 10 days. (Only one they had) There's 4 Female Bettas and 2 Mollies in my 10g tank. Would they survive?

i would say max 2 weeks. 
the vacation feeders aren't good because they will mess with your water stats and make it toxic for them if no water changes etc etc.
just feed straight for 3 days before going away, then after the last feeding do around a 50-75% water change, and when you come back, feed and do another larger water change and you'll be good.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure they could last at least a week without food. just feed them before you leave and right away when you get back? I know for sure they could last a few days.

What about taking them with you? Just remove about 80% of the water, make sure the top is sealed and no water could leak out and take your supplies. Since you have a 10g, that is the perfect transport size.

Taking them with me really isn't an option as I'm boarding a flight home for break.

I remember reading reviews on the vacation feeders in general that said they foul water and produce excess ammonia.
Would placing the block near/further away from the filter make any difference? Would dropping some ghost shrimp as food help at all?
Are there any other options that would increase the survivability of my fish? My budget on this is $15 :/ I thought about adding a live plant, but I'm not even sure if the fish eat those.

The bettas might hunt down the shrimp, but I don't think the molly's will. The vacation is 3 weeks long, way longer than anyone can reccomend they go without food.

Maybe you could try automatic feeder? I hear a lot of bad things, but you could try it out and adjust it while you're there and hopefully nothing horrible happens.

Most tropicals will easily last a week without food, I have done this with my Rainbowfish and went on holiday for a week, did water change day before I left and fed at last min before leaving, back a week later, big water change and then fed, all perfectly ok.

In actual fact was more worried about the shrimps as had no idea if they'd be ok if left alone for a week, turns out, no problem at all.

BUT since you leaving on Dec 13th to Jan 3rd, 21 days / 3 weeks, a LONG time to go without feeding or water changes, would not risk this.
Very much doubt your Bettas and Mollies will survive without food for that long.
Are you sure there is no one you could ask to feed even just once or twice a week?

Auto feeders, I have not heard many good things about these to be honest, would not trust them really.

Buy a battery operated automatic feeder from ebay or your local aquatic store that's what I have and had no problem. Obviously they only work with dry foods.

Do you have anyone who lives locally who could feed the fish whilst you are away (either taking the tank to their place, or letting them come into yours?).

Our neighbors do this for us - I just leave little pots of food labelled up for each day (eg Mon, Tue, etc..) so if you don't feed daily there will be no small pot for them.  As it's a longer vacation, try using the dates rater than days (eg 14th Dec, 15th Dec, 16th Dec, etc...)

Well dorm room typically shut off all the power during the breaks. Thats why they tell you to unplug everything before you go. Unless you're living offcampus.

Fortunately, the power outage is only for a day.
If one of my fish were to die, would the other ones eat the dead one?
Are bettas, mollies, neon swordtails carnivorous?

Yes, pretty much any stocking in the tank will eat dead fish or shrimps. Even some snails will have a munch on dead fish :/

Make sure your filter will re start after the power outage, I've heard a few horror story's of filters not working fully due to needing repriming

How about LFS, try asking them if they can keep your fish for few days while you are away ? 

Most reactions

Back