How long can a betta go without food

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My grandma has a betta but yesterday she went to the hospital. She's probably not going home for a few weeks to months. My mom is taking me to her house to get the Betta in 4 days but is the Betta able to go that long without food?

4 days will be fine. You could go up to a week potentially without feeding fish, not often, but for things like vacations and such.

Yes, he'll be fine for 4 days. Leaving a fish without food while on holiday for a week or so is OK so your grandma's betta will be fine.

Thank you.
4 days will be fine. You could go up to a week potentially without feeding fish, not often, but for things like vacations and such.
Yes, he'll be fine for 4 days. Leaving a fish without food while on holiday for a week or so is OK so your grandma's betta will be fine.

I agree with what they said. 4 days is perfectly fine. (My betta would prefer sooner than later, lol. ;))

Hi.
Betta fish will be fine for 4-5 days as mentioned above, technically you could leave them for longer but that's not really recommended unless you really need to.
You could buy an automatic feeder or a dissolver block if you plan for leaving longer (I know they do them for goldfish but not sure for other fish). :)

Those blocks are not really a good idea as they have a habit of either releasing all the food at once so it causes an ammonia spike, or they cover the whole tank in a white mess. Automatic feeders are much better provided you test them before you go away as some makes either clog up and feed nothing or dump the whole lot in at once. The better ones are fine.

Our betta had no issues without food for 2 weeks (although we fed him up a bit first).
Best wishes to your grandma.

Most reactions

Back