how do you

Hold the camera as close as possible to the tank - and at a slight angle. A dark room is better, 'cause then you don't have window reflections in the glass...If you have a digital camera, try experimenting, varying the angle, distance, flash/no flash, curtains closed/open etc...you'll find it eventually! Also if you have a macro setting on your camera, it works quite well for me

but if it is dark, wouldn't i get the flash off of the tank's walls? Pysgodyn, i mean like the picture in ur sig. i wanna take pictures like that, high quality.

I've found that reflections are kept to a minimum with an altered angle between the camera and the tank...

These are as good as I've been able to take, myself -

Dsc01757.jpg

Dsc01683.jpg

Yellowpreg.jpg

And I think, I almost always tend to get better ones if I DON'T use the optical zoom to it's greatest advantage...then using the digital zoom to get them a little bigger after you've taken the photo. This is probably because the point at which you focus remains static, and the fish keep moving...but then, I'm no expert! :D

Like Pysgodyn, I've found that angle is the key to using flash.

However, I try to avoid the flash if possible because I don't like the shadows it creates and the way it distorts colour.

With the room darkened to avoid reflection and the tank lights nice and bright, as long as the fish are near the glass it should be possible to take pictures without the flash.

If the fish are moving you'll need to use a faster shutter. Many cameras have a 'sports mode' which is a fast shutter preset. Do remember that the camera requires more light in sports/fast shutter mode, so you may have to use the flash.

We also use 'macro' mode allowing us to get very close to the fish and still stay in focus. This is only effectinv if the fish aren't moving too much.

thnx, but that dosen't really help, i wanna take a picture of my serpae tetra, but he is ultra jumpy when he sees the flash. that is one pretty dalmation molly u have.

oppositearmor said:
thnx, but that dosen't really help, i wanna take a picture of my serpae tetra, but he is ultra jumpy when he sees the flash. that is one pretty dalmation molly u have.
then don't use the flash you don't really need it.
turn the room lights off.
turn on the macro mode of your camera.
and be paitient.

I also find using "Manual" mode of the camera works best for taking pictures of aquariums. If you use automatic things tend to get washed out.

Remember that for every one decent picture you'll take many, many crappy ones.

My ratio is about forty to one!

SirMinion said:
Remember that for every one decent picture you'll take many, many crappy ones.

My ratio is about forty to one!
Mine's not far off that either! :lol:

And the molly thanks you for the compliment, Oppositearmor :wub:

oppositearmor said:
what is macro mode? :blink:
It's usually got a 'tulip' logo for it. It's a mode that allows you to take photos of "close up" photos...erm...the technicalities of it I'm unsure of, but I know it's good for closeups of small things.

It's just a pain in the arse that fish never stay still!! :lol:

Most reactions

Back