How Do You Keep Your Fry Warm Once Jarred?

constantine03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just as the title states...there's a guy at my LFS that said he'd help me insulate my sunroom and help me make a barracks system, but until then I don't know how to keep the jars at a constant temp, and I need to start jarring now as they're starting to chase each other around like crazy! I'm jarring in gallon sized containers, so...yeah. Heating pads aren't big enough or practical really. What do you do?

omg gallon sized?!?! good job! :good:

keeping them on a cloth surface of some sort at a fairly steady room temp won't cut it?

I suppose it probably will be okay. I'm housing them on a rack inside a wardrobe with two spawning tanks below, so I suppose the tempereature will remain somewhat steady...just not as warm as I'd like it to be.

well, if you consider how most breeders (including mass breeders) do things, i'm sure that a setup like the one you are talking about would be more than sufficient.

but with no experience raising fry, i'm not the guy to talk to. if you feel like you really want to heat them, someone probably has some experience.

maybe buy a really small space heater that has a thermostat. if they are in a wardrobe, set it really low below the tanks and just make sure it doesn't make the wardrobe too hot. :/

I have a friend who puts her betta fry in a really small room and then uses a space heater to keep the whole room at 80 degrees, and that's always worked well for her. Just make sure the space heater is a safe one that isn't going to start a fire or get too hot.

Hi
We've got our jars on a reptile heat mat. We had to adjust the amount of polystyrene under the mat to get the right temp, but it holds the jars at 28 degrees.
You can get fairly large heat mats too :good: They are also very cheap to run :good:
We considered the small room with a space heater in, but they can be quite expensive to run and as soon as you open the door to the room the warm air can escape.

Hi
We've got our jars on a reptile heat mat. We had to adjust the amount of polystyrene under the mat to get the right temp, but it holds the jars at 28 degrees.
You can get fairly large heat mats too :good: They are also very cheap to run :good:
We considered the small room with a space heater in, but they can be quite expensive to run and as soon as you open the door to the room the warm air can escape.
Hey if i can live in negative degree weather (F) and keep a room nice and toasty with a space heater..... those fry would be living in paradise. :p

I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT ONE!!!! GREAT IDEA!!!!..... :unsure: ... oh no.... lol

Just my 2 cents. I use a shallow tray like a cat litter box or cement mixing tray and put my fry tanks in it and then add water to near the top. Then put in appropriate size submersible heater at desired temp and works fine for my purposes. I use smaller holding tanks til sexes are obvious so can get quite a few tanks in a tray...this might not work for you as well since you are using 1g containers...but it does the trick for my current needs. You could also use longer and shallower tanks such as a 20g long or something like that.

JIM

I've thought of the heating mats, and the long shallow rubbermaid style box with water and a heater, but I don't have enough heaters, and they don't make boxes that large and shallow...grrr!!!

I hadn't thought about a space heater though. That's an interesting idea. I may have to go to Lowes and check them out tonight.

they have some pretty nice space heaters on the market right now. When our son was born and we wanted to keep the bedroom warmer without cranking up our heating bill we got a oil filled electric space heater, very efficent and very safe... you can set the timer and have it come on and off on a 24 hour clock and set the temp very accuratly. It also turns its self off in case of overheating, something covering it, and falling over or being unbalanced.

we got it at lowes and it was less then 100. I consider it a good investment because of the safety features and durability.

hmm....though if looking for a long and shallow plastic container.... what about the ones they make for storeing things under beds? those would be large but shallow.

I've thought of the heating mats, and the long shallow rubbermaid style box with water and a heater, but I don't have enough heaters, and they don't make boxes that large and shallow...grrr!!!

I hadn't thought about a space heater though. That's an interesting idea. I may have to go to Lowes and check them out tonight.

your making me want to breed bettas lol :shout: i'll probably give it a go eventually, but definately haven't got the space, time, money or experience yet :p

good luck :)

they have some pretty nice space heaters on the market right now. When our son was born and we wanted to keep the bedroom warmer without cranking up our heating bill we got a oil filled electric space heater, very efficent and very safe... you can set the timer and have it come on and off on a 24 hour clock and set the temp very accuratly. It also turns its self off in case of overheating, something covering it, and falling over or being unbalanced.

we got it at lowes and it was less then 100. I consider it a good investment because of the safety features and durability.

hmm....though if looking for a long and shallow plastic container.... what about the ones they make for storeing things under beds? those would be large but shallow.
[ hmm....though if looking for a long and shallow plastic container.... what about the ones they make for storeing things under beds? those would be large but shallow. }

Actually those long containers work very well. I don't see the depth being too critical IMO. Even if one puts a half inch betta fry in a full gallon jug, the heat from the exterior water will gradually heat up the jar and once it all stabilizes, it should do the trick. Of somewhat importance is keeping the container out of any drafts that may cause temp variation. Keep a jug of ambient temp water close to be used to refill the container as evaporation takes place. But there are all kinds of ways to do it.

The long ones that go under the bed would work, but I'm looking for something that's wider than those to make the most of the space that I have.

Most reactions

Back